• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

110 v arc welders - any good ?

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Just wondering if a 110 arc welder is worth buying ?

I do not have 220 volt at the garage I rent ,

I also have a 110v Lincoln wire welder,

but was wondering if there are things I can do with a arc welder that I cannot do with the mig

thanks for your advise

Beaulieu

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Beaulieu:
For the most part 110V arc welders are pretty useless! You are limited to really small size rods and thin material.
If you intend to try to weld body panels you are far better off with the M.I.G.
If you intend to try and do projects that require structuraly sound welds, then the 110V arc machine just isn`t the answer.
If you really need to "Stick Weld" then I would suggest to you, that you rent a gas powered ac/dc welder from a rental facility. In my honest opinion dc rods are by far easier to learn how to control. IE. ER7018 {All Positions} or ER7024 {Flat only}. If you woud like more of an explanation on which rods to use for what feel free to P.M. me!

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Kerry, how do you feel about 6011 rods?

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Weewillie:
Classifications of mild and low alloy steel electrodes are based on an 'E' prefix and a four or five digit number. The first two digits [or three, in a five digit number] indicate the minimum required tensile strength in thousands of pounds per square inch [psi]. The next to last digit indicates the welding position in which the electrode is capable of making satisfactory welds. [1 = All positions, 2 = Flat position and horizontal fillets]. The last digit indicates the type of current to be used and the type of covering on the electrode.
A 6011 rod is 60,000 lbs P.S.I. and can be used in any position with ac or dc current. a ER 7018 rod is a low hydrogen rod meaning that minimal hydrogen is introduced into the molten puddle during the welding process. It is 70,000 lbs P.S.I., any position, dc only. {actually it will run on ac but not satisfactory} an ER 7014 Is much better suited to ac if you need 70,0000 lbs P.S.I.. where as an ER 7024 rod is low hydrogen. ac or dc current, flat only position.
the 60 series of rods are suited to weld on old material, scaley, rusty, painted ETC. where you can`t remove all of the debris. Keep in mind that you are limited to 60,000 lbs P.S.I.. If all you have is an ac "Buzz Box" welder then yes by all means 6010, 6011, or 5p is what you want to use.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Kerry that's a great help.