• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fold down windscreen on a BJ7?

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
It has always crossed my mind how cool a 100/4 windscreen would look on a 100/6 or 3000. I have discounted this project for cost/effort vs. result as well as the departure away from the original look. I came across this in a youtube video (Healey Heaven). Hey, not so bad.

Do you think this is an unmodified 100/4 windscreen? What do you think of the look?

fold%20down%203000.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Healey_Z said:
It has always crossed my mind how cool a 100/4 windscreen would look on a 100/6 or 3000. I have discounted this project for cost/effort vs. result as well as the departure away from the original look. I came across this in a youtube video (Healey Heaven). Hey, not so bad.

Do you think this is an unmodified 100/4 windscreen? :nonod:

What do you think of the look?----- :pukeface:

fold%20down%203000.jpg

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Now I'll be the first one to admit that when someone who knows a little about big Healeys asks me if the one I have is the model with the fold down windscreen, I smile when I tell 'em yes. Everybody seems to think it is very stylish (which it is) and that it must be great to dirve it folded (which it ain't). I have driven it on rural roads exactly once with the screen folded. Probably a good marketing tool and it looks great at the shows, but if we had been meant to drive with the windscreen folded we would have been born with nictitating membranes on our eyes like birds. I say, if you want one that folds get a 100.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The stock 100 windscreen and brackets do not have to be modified to fit a 100-6 or an early 3000. There is a slight amount of modification to the fender for the forward windshield bracket to be installed. I have not done this myself but Dave Phillips, who is one this list, has done it and he can provide more details.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Richard -

Your right I think Dave's had this mod for years. He's able to easily remove the whole windshield assembly after driving his Healey racer/street car to the track. I think he replaces the 100-4 system with a smaller plexiglass shield to race with. I do like the look of a fold down windshield but as mentioned above, it's not very practical.

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I drive my BN2 with the windshield down all the time. I drive the car only 300-500 miles per year due to its dilapidated condition (now under restoration). The windshield has only been up one time in the last ten years for a trip around the block trying to identify a noise under the hood.

I could go on about it but it pretty much boils down to this:

How much do you like <span style="font-weight: bold">WIND??</span>

As far as the look goes, my opinion is that any open sportscar looks better with either no, a cut down or a folded down windscreeen. I am part of the "less is more" crowd and I think a short windshield goes with that theme.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Years ago,I took my '53 100-4 up to Mount Rainer 75-80 mph(Healeys in Paradise)Cascade Club event,had windshield down all the way up& back(IMO-as close to being on motorcycle feeling as possible on 4-wheels) loved the wind&sunshine, Large bees were a hazard.cheers Genos2

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
It must have been very difficult to fit a late model car with the early model fold down windshield, I admire his ingenuity. However, I think the later model cars are to large to pull it off. The early cars were shorter and narrower and also lower to the ground. In my opinion DMH was correct in not applying the folding windscreen to the later model Healey's.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
<span style="font-style: italic">The stock 100 windscreen and brackets do not have to be modified to fit a 100-6 or an early 3000. There is a slight amount of modification to the fender for the forward windshield bracket to be installed. </span>

or

<span style="font-style: italic">It must have been very difficult to fit a late model car with the early model fold down windshield </span>

I've couldn't find Dave Philips in the user list, but it would be great to have someone that has done this chime in.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
The early cars were shorter and narrower and also lower to the ground. ??

All Healeys were the same width (actually the manuals list the later cars as 1/2" narrower at 5" 0"). Height over the scuttle only grew by 7/8th of an inch from the first car at 2' 11" to the last. Overall height was 1/2" more for the later cars due to the different hood frame design needed to accommodate the 2+2 seating. Ground clearance for the last cars was 4 5/8" vs. 5 1/2" for the early ones but I don't believe either of those dimensions!

The last cars were, at 13' 1 1/8" 6 1/8" longer that the 100/4s but they don't look much longer to me!

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Not a fan of this look.......Cheers to my fellow 100 owners who drive with the windshield down. Did this on one occasion with my son-in law, We were laughing the whole time because we couldn't breeth. Thought we should have had a helmet etc.

We are both over 6' 2", the look must have been a litle crazy!

Pete

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dave goes by red57.

6969ronin6969

Country flag
I like the look. I haven't tried to view the video yet, but based on the pics posted it reminds me of the 100S set up for the street.

I can understand it's not the most practical setup in the laid down position, but that's the beauty of the folding windscreen mechanism. Put it up when you want it or lay it down when you feel like. I guess I view it as similar to the folding top mechanism, depending on the weather or your mood, you have the option of how you want to use it.

Eric

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sory everybody, I was away last weekend. Yes the 100 windscreen can be installed on the early 3000. I don't know how it would work with roll-up window car but it's really pretty straightforward on the earlier sixes. Anybody wanting more detail can PM me & I'll be happy to go thru it & provide pics.

The side pillar mounts are exactly the same on the bottom where they bolt to the car, so all the bolt holes line up.

To install the 'feet' the screen goes into when down, you have to notch the inner edge of the fender to make room for the mounting blade that goes between the fender & shroud. Note: the mounting holes for these 'feet' are already in the bulkhead, but not the shroud - I'm guessing that it was cheaper and easier to leave the holes in the dies for stamping these pieces when they changed the windscreen.

If you want to run a top, you need to assemble the 100 windshield using the top piece from a later six cyl. windshield. This gives the flange for the top front bow to hook over and then you drill & tap for clamp pegs on the rear side of the 100 windshield post (same location as the early sixes). This way you can use the early BN4 type top.

BTW the glass is exactly the same curvature, width and height - it's just the extreem side curves that are different. In other words the top & bottom channels the glass sits in are interchangeable.

I have this set-up for two reasons: I can easily remove the windshield at the track (my small screen does not need to be removed & does not interfere with the 100 windshield).
But mostly I have it because I originally fell in love with the windshield when I bought my first 100 in 1969. No other car in the world has one like a Healey. I will admit it is sometimes a bit difficult to see over & slightly obscures your view but the trade-off is wind in the face!!!!! I only have the glass up if its raining or below 40 degrees. It isn't even the wind in the face as much as driving through mountains and having an unobsructed view in any direction - closest thing to a motorcycle you can get. I have logged a lot of miles on my old Harley but now I prefer the Healey because, here in washington state we now have helmet laws and the bike just isn't as much fun anymore. Now I get the wind in the face and don't have to worry about falling over :smile:

Even my wife prefers the screen down.

My personal view: Driving a Healey with the windshield down through some twisty mountain roads on a nice sunny day is almost the best driving experience I have had - second only to racing a Healey.

Again, I ma happy to share the particulars if anyone has questions.

Dave