• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Down Pipe How They Last

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As soon as I get this clutch fork figured out and the engine and tranny are installed on the frame I need to install the exhaust system. Torn between ordering a stainless pipes or using the iron ones I have. Running out of $ for this build so my question is you guys that have had your TRs for years how long has the down pipes lasted? I have three of them. 2 used and 1 new one that came with a parts car. Was thinking of coating one of one with this brush on manifold paint. But that only gets the out side. 20230214_103855.jpg

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you have 3 already, money shouldn't be a problem...Use the best one, if there is a best one, and you'll probably still have 2 to be passed on to the next owner.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've never had good luck with the brush-on high-temperature paint. It always seems to flake off, but that might be my fault. I think it's essential to get rid of ALL the rust, every flake, and then it might adhere a little longer. Of course, getting it ceramic-coated is best, but that will cost a few bucks.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If it was me and I had a new one on hand, I'd use it, has to last as long as the original from new. Usually the tail pipes don't last as long due to cooler running with moisture in the pipe after short runs, shutting down and settting for a while. PJ

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks. Ya I always drilled a tinny hole in the bottom of my muffler to let out the moisture that accumulated in there. Back in the day when you're lucky the muffler lasted 2 years and stainless pipes was as much as the car. It did by me some more time though. Had some tell me that they had good success with this newer 2000* ceramic paint. As I type I'm doing the muffler with it. Long process then you got to cure it. If you take it to some powder coater it's more then a new stainless down pipe. I'm kinda getting up there is age too and don't want to be 79 and need to change the exhaust.

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
The paint certainly can't hurt. Do you have to cure it in a oven? Every time I have to cure something that requires an oven, I risk divorce. Apparently my young bride does not like chemical smells in the kitchen or in her food.

Rod

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
LOL. Honey how come my meatloaf has a slight taste of solvent.
What I did is put a heat gun in the intake pipe and another in one of the tail pipes. Had to wait an hour and man the solvents sure came flowing out. I was only able to get it to a little over 300* and I did swap pipes. Years ago my son gave me a electric stove that came out of one of his rentals. The muffler would not fit anywheres close in there. Last cure was suppose to be 600* to get to the full 2000* limit. But mufflers don't get that hot so I think I'm good. I just need it to last a few years.
I think I answered my own question in my last post where I said I didn't want to be 79 and changing the down pipe. So I'm leaning more to the stainless.