• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Last ride of the season?

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Had to take my TR 250 down town to get photos for my insurance inspection, so it's insured in the garage over the winter (note: homeowners' policy does NOT cover autos) Anyhow, we've already had 2" of snow this week (roads are dry)North of Boston & expecting a NorEaster this weekend with up to 10" of snow. So, anyhow I fired up the car this morning 12 deg (she started right up!) and hurried down down to take care of buissiness & packed her away in the garage. I said to my bride that I remember when we were dating in the late 70's she drove my TR all winter when I was away at college & even remember going skiing a couple of times!

Ah yes; youth is wasted on the young!!

This is what I play with outside when the TR is packed away for the winter! It's a1973 Allis Chalmers/Homelite built (Simplicity) Tractor

https://home.comcast.net/~ghamilton99/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1139466.html

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I took my TR3 out two weeks ago and nearly froze my touchas off. I had almost no gas in the tank (and no Stabil in there,) so I had to go fill up and use Stabil.

I have a top, but no side curtain mounting plates installed, so I just went for the **** the torpedos full-monty.

Since the car is a California car, I don't think the heater has been run -- maybe ever. The blower still works, but it sounds like the bearing is nasty (and it gives a burning smell immediately.) Not that a little heater is going to help on a 30 degree clear-and-cold day.

But it was still a blast!!!

If it weren't my daughter's birthday today (3) I would have seized the opportunity to take another joy ride -- very clear for a while.

I don't have the heart to "store" my cars for the winter -- especially my Corvette, which has roll-up windows, a good top and a heater that can fry bacon.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Last ride of the season??? I thought so two months ago when my engine went on my 7; but with a newly working engine installed, and sunny weather here for the next two days, and Temps around +2 to +5 or around 40 F, I plan on taking the beast out on the road. I have driven it around the block a couple times, but I will make the call to the Insurance agent, (Dad), and have him put the insurance on for a day or two. This way, at least, I can go and fill up the tank and have it rust checked. We have un-predictable weather here throughout the winter, and it can get quite warm at times, so I plan on starting it up several times per week, just to keep things moving. Since I plan on this, would I still need to add a Gas Stabilizer to the tank?
Oh yes, the heater works just fine.

Paul
Sunny Bradford, Ontario

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My Spridget is up on jackstands after the last race in WV 2 weeks ago. Today we had an early 10" (25 cm) of snow so even the Miata is sidelined...and the Aeronca is stashed in the back of the hanger till Spring.
Let the "cabin fever" begin!

G

Sorry guys,
Think I will take the 6 on a little road trip to sunny New Orleans this weekend. Winter here is an inconvenience at best. My son in Boston has 10" on snow to deal with. It'll be almost 70 here today in the country. No need for Stabil in south Louisiana. Oh, and I think my heater works, oughta try it out.

Bill

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Paul,
Gas stabilizer is always a good idea if you think you won't go through a full tank of gas in two or three months. If they oxygenate the fuel in your area, you should do put in Sta-bil every fill-up in the winter, b/c the additives for "cleaner air" during inversion layer season(winter) lower the quality of gas significantly.

The "cleaner" the gas is supposed to burn, the faster it turns to varnish. In Los Angeles, I know the winter gas is now only rated for two weeks!!! Compare that to a car my buddy here in Olympia, WA started the other day for the first time in 5 years on the same five year old gas! Luckily, only Seattle and Tacoma have Oxygenated fuels...Olympia-area does not.

Sta-bil is so cheap, it's just good peace of mind.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KLUTZ:
Since I plan on this, would I still need to add a Gas Stabilizer to the tank?
Oh yes, the heater works just fine.

Paul
<hr></blockquote>

John Bryan

Ahhh, winter. That time of year when it almost never rains and the day time temp almost never breaks 85. Nights do, on rare occasion, get down into the 50's and maybe even the 40's once or twice. Today was just perfect-high of about 70, low around 50. Winter is the best time of the year for my TR6.

Whats that, you say? It gets cold up there? I feel for you guys in the winter, but I envy you in the spring and fall. John, from sunny South Florida!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
John,
One word for you regarding southern Florida:
"HURRICANES!!!"

Actually, when I was living in Houston, we had similar weather patterns. Winter was the best time for Triumphs, because summer was too dang hot and rained too much. (One year it rained every single day in July!)

And while it was beautiful in the Northwest (with no rain for over a month,) Tropical Storm Allison came through Houston and wiped out my '59 TR3 a few weeks after its completed restoration and C5 Corvette Convertible with 13,800 miles on it.

I'll take some rain and cold to avoid those dang Hurricanes/Tropical Storms causing damage of biblical proportions!!!

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Driving with the top up is not quite as much fun, but 40 deg. F and sunshine Friday, I coulnt help myself, the TR& was looking quite lonely in the storage shed.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So last Sunday I was out for a drive, drop head, sun out, no clouds, 60 degrees F. Monday, cold as a WT, snowed 4 inches, high most all week was 38 F. So once again, today, Sunday, sun out, blue sky, 55 degrees F and going out for some more drop head driving.
Oh, right, all it does is snow in Colorado!
grin.gif
patriot.gif

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Nothin better than a week in the 50's and 60's during the (almost every winter) thaw. Blow an afternoon of work, put the top down, turn the heat up, and think about all those other poor saps you know working.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Yep, I did exactly that this past winter, Got one of those rare days in the 50's, probably in February or March. Took off work, rolled the Spridget out, and, top down, away we went on a little 100 mile jaunt. I met another Spridget, but he had the top up, and the side curtains on. Just not in the proper spirit, if you know what I mean. I met a Spit coming the other way, sans top, and we flashed our lights, honked the horn, and laughingly shook our heads at each other.
Days like that are just good for the soul.
Jeff

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got my link working on my original post, try it & check out the beginning of my Web page.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Ahh.From one extreme to the other.We were pusihing the snow this AM.Did it all in just under 2 hours.Our last ride was October 30 with the top down.It sure was the last ride as 2 days later we had a cold front with snow.
canpatriot.gif
but then every day is sunny.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
(I posted this on another subject for Santa, but since it was such a great day on Christmas I thought I'd post it here too):

Santa hid a special gift for my Stag made by Jeff Boston in the UK. It is a Draught Excluder for the Stag BosScreen Stag Accessories
Santa made me work though, put a dozen puzzle pieces in as many boxes all wrapped with bows, then I had to guess where the thing was stashed from the puzzle. So Christmas Day, 50 degrees F, out blasting around in the Stag under Colorado clear skies and sunshine, it don't get too much better than that!
patriot.gif

Zer

Jedi Trainee
Rain rain rain : Well its not that bad but this time of year there is allways a chance. Been parked since Oct 2, New years day hope to finish the shed and take everything out of the garage but the spit and tools......Can't wait!!! Zer
grin.gif

betis70

Freshman Member
My poor dad. He put his Healey 100-6 to 'sleep' for the winter, then us 'kids' came back to visit for Christmas and we brought our California weather with us.

It was 55 and sunny this past Sunday in Connecticut. Healey weather we dubbed it, but we were in the Lincoln.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Awwwthe heck with it.. I put storage insurance on my car but it's just getting soaked in the back yard under it's shelter ( condensation..) I might as well insure it for the road and get it wet while having fun..

Good thing everything holding the car together is stainless ( no rust..)

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
First Rides of the Season!
thumbsup.gif
Well with some time off to work on the laundry list of things on the Stag, I guess my rides on January 1 and 2 sort of qualify for 1st rides of the season? New Years Day was a high of 47, and the 2nd was a high of 52, so both days I put on a few New Years pleasure miles. The evening of the 2nd, started to snow and by Saturday afternoon, 8 inches. So stoke up the coal stove in the garage and I'll replace some bushings that need attention. After all, it is supposed to be over 50 degrees F next week!

Happy New Year all!
cheers.gif