• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is my shifter bushing missing?

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
On my new 100-6 the previous owner told me he never could get the lower shifter bushing to work correctly whether he tried the brass original or nylon replacement. I removed the transmission tunnel cover yesterday to do some looking, and removed the shifter to have a look.
Shown in the photos are the shifter, a small wire ring laying in there, and a view into the shifter area of the transmission. All parts removed are shown, other than the nuts/washers holding the shifter in place on top.
I can't tell by looking so can anyone tell me from experience if there is still a bushing laying in there? If so, how might it be removed?

Just trying not to break anything.

Thanks for your assistance!

Attachments

• shifter end.jpg
    shifter end.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 152
  • inside shifter.jpg
    inside shifter.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 158

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Usually when the shifter is removed, the brass or nylon bushing will come out with it, if it is good condition. The fact that the small ring came out by itself points to a problem, since it is used on the outside of the split brass bushing to hold the halves together. You can fish around in the hole and see if anything moves, but I wouldn't chance loose bits dropping in, since this area opens to the main case with the oil. The side cover of the transmission is pretty easy to remove, and the whole thing can then be looked at on the bench. You can also check the bottom of the case for debris. Be careful if you remove the side cover, since there are springs and balls that will want to fall out. Also you should drain the oil from the trans and overdrive. When you put it all back together, you can install the shifter, with a new bushing, before reattaching the side cover.

D

Duane_Rhynard

On my new 100-6 the previous owner told me he never could get the lower shifter bushing to work correctly whether he tried the brass original or nylon replacement. I removed the transmission tunnel cover yesterday to do some looking, and removed the shifter to have a look.
Shown in the photos are the shifter, a small wire ring laying in there, and a view into the shifter area of the transmission. All parts removed are shown, other than the nuts/washers holding the shifter in place on top.
I can't tell by looking so can anyone tell me from experience if there is still a bushing laying in there? If so, how might it be removed?

Just trying not to break anything.

Thanks for your assistance!

+1 on everything British_Recovery said. The pictures below show how it should look. Obviously the slot in the ball of the shifter must match up with the pin on the receiver. Make absolutely sure that you don't have an "escaped" bushing that fell down into the gearbox. Follow the instructions in the factory manual on the the cover springs and balls associated with it! Your 100-6 should have the split brass bushing with the retaining ring, and not the nylon bushing.

Thanks,
Duane '58 BN6

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• shift2.jpg
    shift2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 322
  • shift1.jpg
    shift1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 299
OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks guys.

I've taken apart a lot of car parts, and never saw any bushing nor did my son.
Despite that, I'm getting ready to use my fiber optic camera on my computer to look down in the transmission and see if the bushing just happened to drop in there. If I can find it without taking off the side cover, all the better.

The previous owner swears he installed the bushing. Given how sloppy it was shifting I'm not convinced he didn't forget it the last time he put it together.

If you can, note how part of my internal receptacle is worn out toward the 2 oclock portion of the photo. Duane's is nice and round inside.
Is it possible mine is worn, and that is why it has never shifted well for the previous owner? Or are they just different transmissions?

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• inside shifter close.jpg
    inside shifter close.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 121
D

Duane_Rhynard

Thanks guys.

I've taken apart a lot of car parts, and never saw any bushing nor did my son.
Despite that, I'm getting ready to use my fiber optic camera on my computer to look down in the transmission and see if the bushing just happened to drop in there. If I can find it without taking off the side cover, all the better.

The previous owner swears he installed the bushing. Given how sloppy it was shifting I'm not convinced he didn't forget it the last time he put it together.

If you can, note how part of my internal receptacle is worn out toward the 2 oclock portion of the photo. Duane's is nice and round inside.
Is it possible mine is worn, and that is why it has never shifted well for the previous owner? Or are they just different transmissions?

Thanks for the info.

Since you found the spring clip for the brass bushing, I'm guessing the actual bushing is in the gearbox somewhere. I also suspect the hole wear pattern is from shifting without a bushing present, which would be very sloppy. All of the side shift transmissions shift lever systems are basically the same, so the hole should be round like the image I posted. I might have an original used good lever control with a round hole if you can't make yours work.

Thanks,
Duane

OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Since you found the spring clip for the brass bushing, I'm guessing the actual bushing is in the gearbox somewhere. I also suspect the hole wear pattern is from shifting without a bushing present, which would be very sloppy. All of the side shift transmissions shift lever systems are basically the same, so the hole should be round like the image I posted. I might have an original used good lever control with a round hole if you can't make yours work.

Thanks,
Duane

Duane,

I ran the fiber optic camera inside, and don't see anything obvious.

So, I put the shifter back in place, and it wobbled and shifted just like before. This tells me that at least for the month I've owned the car and the 21 miles I've driven it there was never a bushing present. Could it have been forgotten by the previous owner? Maybe. Ground up by the gears? Another maybe.
I found a photo of Randy's that shows a bushing laying deep inside the transmission, so mine may have sunk to the bottom.
Can the lever control be replaced with just the side cover removed? If so I'm going to replace it. I cleaned it out tonight and it's definitely worn. I also checked the inside using my finger and there is quite the wear pattern inside that you can't see in photos.

Patrick

Addendum - I see that the lever can be replaced by removing just the side cover. So, I'm in the market for the lever control.

Country flag
Duane,

So, I put the shifter back in place, and it wobbled and shifted just like before. This tells me that at least for the month I've owned the car and the 21 miles I've driven it there was never a bushing present. Could it have been forgotten by the previous owner? Maybe. Ground up by the gears? Another maybe.
I found a photo of Randy's that shows a bushing laying deep inside the transmission, so mine may have sunk to the bottom.
Can the lever control be replaced with just the side cover removed? If so I'm going to replace it. I cleaned it out tonight and it's definitely worn. I also checked the inside using my finger and there is quite the wear pattern inside that you can't see in photos.

Patrick

Addendum - I see that the lever can be replaced by removing just the side cover. So, I'm in the market for the lever control.
I'm glad you had the fortitude to look for that pic; I thought of it when I read your post, but I spent most of yesterday laying on a heating pad. Not sure how I pulled a muscle in the middle of my back, though I did put about 60 miles on the Healey Friday night...

IMG_0396.jpg

Just be mindful of these three (3) springs and balls when removing/'replacing the side cover; the balls go in first, the springs are not prone to flying out...

IMG_7385.jpg

...Just line them back up with the bores in the cover, add the bolts and torque to spec (18-20 Lbs/Ft).

IMG_7387.jpg

OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I'm glad you had the fortitude to look for that pic; I thought of it when I read your post, but I spent most of yesterday laying on a heating pad.

FYI not a great idea. I usually tell patients no more than 15 minutes at a time, 3-4 times per day.
You're just trying to loosen it up, not slow cook it. ;)

D

Duane_Rhynard

Patrick,

I tried twice to respond to you PM without success. Email me: duane at aitsolutions dot com

Thanks,
Duane

Duane,

Patrick

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
I will add one comment to what Randy posted and it is critical to do or you will mess things up. I experienced the latter.

The shift lever that is on the sidecover MUST be engaged with the right slot for which position the gearbox is in. I did not check this and I fitted the side cover whilst pressing the lever into the 1-2 shiftrod and bent the shift rod. The gearbox has to be removed to replace the shift rod, not fun. Please make sure to check and you will not have to contribute to the cuss jar.

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Also, when re-inserting the shifter, the bushing must be attached. You cannot fit the bushing first and try to push the shifter into it.

To prevent any chance of dropping the bushing into the case a second time, I put a dab of grease on the end of the shifter and then attached the bushing.

OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the tips. Duane as been very helpful via email as well.

Anyone happen to know what size Allen/hex fitting I need to drain the transmission?

Once the side cover is off I will have to inspect and see what is going on.
Regarding the gear lever I will have to find one and replace it or consider having the depression machined out and sleeved so that the brass bushing can fit in properly. Currently it is worn significantly, and I suspect the previous owner went through a few bushings because they just could not physically stay there with so much external clearance.

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I was able to remove the control lever from the transmission side cover today. Once I discovered I had the right piece of threaded rod already on hand for gun work it was easy.

Attached is a photo of a bushing sitting inside my control lever. As you can see the hole in my lever is significantly worn, and I suspect that there has been a missing bushing for much of the car's life. With a finger I can easily tilt the bushing almost 45 degrees. It's no wonder that bushings kept popping out.

I'm going to look into having the lever milled out and an insert placed to reestablish the original size. In that way I'll have a better-than-new lever which will hold the bushings in place once and for all.
Given the price of used control levers I think it's also more cost effective to go this way.

Attachments

• bushing in control lever.JPG
    bushing in control lever.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 111
OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Duane gave me the measurement of the bushing hole from the control lever for his car. If anyone else happens to have one apart and can measure the diameter of the opening that would be great.

D

Duane_Rhynard

I was able to remove the control lever from the transmission side cover today. Once I discovered I had the right piece of threaded rod already on hand for gun work it was easy.

Attached is a photo of a bushing sitting inside my control lever. As you can see the hole in my lever is significantly worn, and I suspect that there has been a missing bushing for much of the car's life. With a finger I can easily tilt the bushing almost 45 degrees. It's no wonder that bushings kept popping out.

I'm going to look into having the lever milled out and an insert placed to reestablish the original size. In that way I'll have a better-than-new lever which will hold the bushings in place once and for all.
Given the price of used control levers I think it's also more cost effective to go this way.

Patrick,

Note where the correctly installed bushing is positioned when installed in the control lever! (See picture below). I also sent you an email as well.

Thanks,
Duane

IMG_20151217_135857394.jpg

OP
P

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
If you look at Duane's lever control back in post #3
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...ushing-missing&p=998828&viewfull=1#post998828
you can see how nice and straight the walls of his lever control are. The inside is, as I noted to him, like a straight 55 gallon drum. Or, you can think soup can if you like.

My analogy to him is that the inside of my lever control has the shape of an old wooden barrel that's about to burst. I was going to to try and set up a photo like his immediately above, but it wouldn't show much.
So, I came up with the one below. I dropped in a bushing assembly and rotated it with ease.
Seeing this you can tell why the bushings keep popping off the shifter. Close viewing of the inside of the lever control bushing well will show how much it has worn. Down below the bushing, just to the right of it, you can see a tiny bit of the original wall of the bushing well. Everything else is worn out so it has a large egg-shaped opening inside.

I'm hoping to check in with a machine shop early next week to have this fixed.

Attachments

• sideways bushing.JPG
    sideways bushing.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 101

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Duane gave me the measurement of the bushing hole from the control lever for his car. If anyone else happens to have one apart and can measure the diameter of the opening that would be great.
I will try to give you another data point from my spare. Later this weekend though, working on Christmas shopping tomorrow.