• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Zoom Video Communications Settlement - bogus?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I used Zoom for meetings dozens of times during the COVID crisis.

Today I received an email titled:

Zoom Video Communications Settlement

regarding the case Zoom Video Communications, Inc. Privacy Litigation, Case No. 3:20-cv-02155-LB.

I'm a bit dubious about the authenticity of the email.

Has anyone else recently received such an email?

Thanks.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
There is a Zoom settlement: > FTC Requires Zoom to Enhance its Security Practices as Part of Settlement <

and

But that doesn't mean the email you got is legit (email address can be spoofed). I would contact Zoom directly and ask what you need to do to get the refund mentioned in the article.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. I knew the case was legitimate, but the "click here for more info" where the case is named, would take you to a website with a domain in Montenegro.

hmmm

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If I suddenly drop offline for a few months, you'll know I clicked the link.

:jester:

A few of the "eccentricities" in the email -

Email: (the link isn't an email address or "mailto:" address.)

Ping or Tracert to the domain (in Montenegro) results in "The site can't be reached" or "This page isn't working".

Interesting that the "real" url (the one that says ZoomClassAction dot com) does go to the Zoom class action webpage, but if you click that link you don't go to the same website.

I wonder how often this type of situation occurs to folks who have to pay their bills by clicking on a link that says "Click here to pay your electric (or whatever) bill". If people just get notifications of "payment due" on their smartphones, do they actually check that the "click here to pay your bill" link goes where they think it goes?

oy

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Email: (the link isn't an email address or "mailto:" address.)
If you highlight the from address or view message details, you should be able to see the originating address (bearing in mine it could be spoofed or faked)

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Righto. I see the path from origin server to gmail server, which looks ok, but spoofing is too easy these days.

Another coincidence ... I got that email about an hour after I registered for a Zoom webinar.

Think I'll alert the sponsor of the webinar.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I wonder how often this type of situation occurs to folks who have to pay their bills by clicking on a link that says "Click here to pay your electric (or whatever) bill". If people just get notifications of "payment due" on their smartphones, do they actually check that the "click here to pay your bill" link goes where they think it goes?
Best practices - don't click on links to do anything related to money. Go to the hectic company web site and log in directly from there. I get these kinds of fake emails every day. Drives me nuts!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm lucky - only a few of these a month. I set up direct debit between my credit union and my creditors, so there's less chance of an interloper.

(I'm really steamed that so many companies now push you to "go paperless" - which makes things easier and cheaper for them, and the monthly emails saying "click here to pay your bill" makes it easier for us to be swindled.)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else here got a similar message, as so many people have used Zoom in the last couple of years.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you get one with "About your Amazon order"?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Got this type of e mail several times from our Cox Internet service. At least it climes to come from Cox. I think it is a scam.

David
e mail s.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David's email reminds me of the regular emails I get from ebay, saying "Your selling account has been restricted. You still have not provided the information we requested. Please login to ebay, choose accounts, choose personal information, choose financial information, and enter the data needed."

I get that from ebay about once a month.

Unfortunately - it's a real message from ebay, wanting my personal bank account info so I can sell things one ebay. But I never sell things on ebay.

Ridiculous.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
David's email reminds me of the regular emails I get from ebay, saying "Your selling account has been restricted. You still have not provided the information we requested. Please login to ebay, choose accounts, choose personal information, choose financial information, and enter the data needed."

I get that from ebay about once a month.

Unfortunately - it's a real message from ebay, wanting my personal bank account info so I can sell things one ebay. But I never sell things on ebay.

Ridiculous.
Weird, I have never gotten an email like that from EBay. Are you sure it's not EBay being spoofed?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Not a spoof. Hundreds of users have been complaining about this, in ebay users groups and "communities".

Funny thing is that the email never says exactly what they want. The email only says go to your account and see what we need there. If you do that, you see something like "Please enter your bank's routing number and your account number. We'll send a test deposit of one cent to verify the account. From that point on, your payments for items you sell on ebay will go directly into your bank."

Thus adding yet another opportunity for hackers to get info.

For sellers, ebay wants to collect and disburse payments directly to sellers' bank account, and skip the PayPal step.

oy