• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

zero to 60

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
https://www.zeroto60times.com/Triumph-0-60-mph-Times.html

This, I thought, was a bit fun to compare our old Triumphs with the other makes (new and old). I like our 1/4s still..we can still keep up.

I figure with the big bore, which I got very early...I'm around 9.5..,or less. Which goes to show back in the early 70s that adventure on el camino in Palo Alto with that Big Healey was just what it should have been.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Fun resource, but I do wonder where they got some of their data...which seems to indicate that a Mayflower could accelerate more quickly 0-60 than could a 948 single-carb Herald! Considering the Mayflower was heavier, had a slightly lower power output (although its flathead did have a longer stroke) AND had only three forward speeds.... :rolleyes:

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Fun resource, but I do wonder where they got some of their data...which seems to indicate that a Mayflower could accelerate more quickly 0-60 than could a 948 single-carb Herald! Considering the Mayflower was heavier, had a slightly lower power output (although its flathead did have a longer stroke) AND had only three forward speeds.... :rolleyes:

The 1250 sidevalve, according to my references, had slighly more bhp than the 948 and I'm guessing was "torquier" too. Motor magazine made the Mayflower quicker - though neither were road-burners!
I had an "interim" car - a '55 Standard 10 that was punished mercilessly until it expired. Same engine as the early Herald.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I find this hard to believe... how was the '80 spitfire the fastest 0-60 of all the spitfires? It was the heaviest, and had all the emissions junk on it. Less power and more weight does not equal faster acceleration. Maybe its possible that it was, at a sacrifice to top speed, but still... I feel like my '80 spit goes from 0-60 in 3 minutes.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
pjsmetana said:
I find this hard to believe... how was the '80 spitfire the fastest 0-60 of all the spitfires?
Possibly the quoted time was from a test of a home-market spec. car?
Good point, in that case I could believe it.