• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Youtube, 63 BJ7 with electronic fuel injection

James, well the chassis (as you see it in the Youtube video) has 180 miles on it but it has all been on a rolling road with no attention paid to fuel economy. Once I get the body on and some real road miles I'll be able to answer the mileage question....clearly the fuel economy should be up considerably .... but no hard data yet.

Cheers,
Steve

Cutlass, my injection guru and brains behind making this possible, Ric Navarro could/would duplicate my setup for someone..... I have no financial interest in this. In fact, he has additional injector blocks already machined. However, it would be considerably easier to do this with a twin SU setup. We first built a twin SU package on my stock BJ7 manifold, but from the beginning I wanted a tricarb to duplicate the majority of the Works Rally cars which typically had triples.... so after we did a "proof of concept" with twin SU's I pulled them off and put on the tricarb manifolds. The reason the tricarb is more difficult is, for the most part, packaging.... you run out of room in about 3 areas so you have to make some modifications to fit everything (not unlike fitting triple Webers). The twin SU's fit without mods to the pedal box and shroud upright. Ric and I have also talked about hooking up a remote tuning capability.... basically meaning that using the internet he could use his laptop software to tune a car remotely and then burn a chip. Now if you had exactly what my car has that wouldn't be necessary but differences from my configuration would need to be addressed in the tune. This is true for any EFI "kit" .. such as AH Spares or Healey Werks, etc.... EFI is so good because it "cares" about things that a carb. may not take issue with (speaking metaphorically).. but once the tune is set, it is set. Most of the "kits" don't stress this but it's a reality in the efi world.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve
Welcome to the forum. I recall you mentioning a dyno run for the engine in mid November. Did you get a chance to do that? I was curious if you sleeved the SU throats since you have taken the pistons out.

GregW,
Thanks for the welcome. You're right about the planned dyno runs but holidays, weather, and illnesses all conspired to hold up the plan. I still hope to get it done. A friend has a fresh BJ8 that is interested in participating so it should be a very interesting comparison if we can get it arranged. Now the issues are work and weather.... but I think we'll eventually pull it off. I haven't sleeved the SU throats.... didn't feel it was necessary since the injectors are down stream from the butterflies. Did you have an opinion? I like the picture you included.....is that a very slick tricarb or are there some injectors in there???

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I have a thought, not really strong enough to qualify as an opinion. :laugh: Intake velocity on the Healey motor is boarderline on the low side. That's why it isn't recommended to do much porting on the head. The cavity where the piston was may cause some turbulence and slow the air down enough where you may loose some performance. What carbs are those, 4s or 6s? Smaller bore-higher velocity, but not too small to restrict higher RPM.

I like how you did the throttle linkage BTW.

The photo is a conversion I did with Mikuni 42mm carbs. At the moment, it's in all my posts. The Forum software lets you add a "signature" at the bottom of every post you make automatically. It can be a saying, motto or photo that you link to. You can add one in your preferences under "My Stuff" found at the top of any page.

GregW,
The carbs are 1 3/4" HS6's ... the tricarb intake manifolds are 1 1/2" but they have been opened up to match the 1 3/4" SU's.....not the entire length of the manifold...just a gentle blending out to the mating area. I agree that theoretically there could be some turbulence where the dashpots were but on a practical level there aren't any noticeable flat spots in the throttle ... and this isn't a race engine so I cann't say I notice anything....also the turbulence would be upstream from the injectors and it is super clean from the butterflies/injectors to the valves. The distance from the injectors to the valves is 7" for all 6 injectors so there is a nice consistency to the fuel flow.

Thanks for the tutorial on the pics on your email .... I was trying to figure out how to do that.... can you just add a pic to a specific post... haven't figured that out either.

Cheers,
Steve

Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. I did a little clean-up on my manifolds and tapered them also.

Yes, you can add photos in a post. When you use reply (as opposed to quick reply) you'll see "file manager" below the post window. There you can browse to the location on your computer, select it, choose "add file". If you want to add multiple photos, repeat browse and add file. Then choose "Done adding files". There is a size limit to the pictures, I think it is 100K or 150K, so you might need to resize to be able to upload. I usually make mine 72 DPI and 8½" across which is 612 pixels.

Thanks for the info Greg....and the internals of your manifolds look just like mine.