Had some time this AM before work/kids got started and decided to dig into how the horn-a-matic got created. Also had the somewhat vague steering in mind and HOLY COW.
First - found the horn issue. One of the electrical ground rings came off so it was only making contact when the column was pushed forward;
But who cares about the horn - why could the column be pushed forward. Look at this tear I found in the coupling!
\
That tear was allowing the column to flex, re-establish the ground, and also making the steering vague. I don't want to think about what would have happened if not caught.
Lesson learned - if you haven't checked your coupling(s) recently do so. If they show signs of cracking you need to do careful review of their state.
First - found the horn issue. One of the electrical ground rings came off so it was only making contact when the column was pushed forward;
But who cares about the horn - why could the column be pushed forward. Look at this tear I found in the coupling!
That tear was allowing the column to flex, re-establish the ground, and also making the steering vague. I don't want to think about what would have happened if not caught.
Lesson learned - if you haven't checked your coupling(s) recently do so. If they show signs of cracking you need to do careful review of their state.
Hey Guest!