• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Would this be a good value for a restored 1967 MGB

Rays

I am looking to get an MGB, preferably from the late 1960's. I would like the mechanicals completely gone over and the body and interior also restored. There is a shop nearby me called classicshowcase.com that both sells cars and restores them as well. They offer a 1967 MGB that they will restore for $30,000. The restoration to a "show driver level" includes the following:

Mechanical

Engine rebuilt to factory specifications using new pistons, valves, guides, springs and hardware. Transmission rebuilt using new seals and syncros. Fuel tank hot tanked, cleaned and epoxy sealed. New radiator, new complete brake system. Suspension completely refinished and rebuilt using new bushings, hardware and components. All mechanical parts restored and painted. All electrical components, gauges, knobs, switches were re-screened, restored or replaced.

Body and Interior

Body stripped to bare metal and all imperfections repaired using new sheet metal, body epoxy sealed then painted with quality paint color sanded and buffed. Doors and bonnets are properly fitted. Trim is replaced or re-plated. The interior and headliner are replaced with Connolly reproductions.

MG67-36G-001.jpg

Would this be a good choice, since I would know the work was done properly or would buying a restored car at auction be a better route? By the way, it is very important to me that the car have original California Black plates.

Thank you for your opinions.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

This is (strictly) my opinion but it seems a bit high for an MGB. 'course the level of workmanship can count for a lot. And '67 is the last 'good' year for 'em (also opinion).

I guess it depends on what you're willing to give for one, what condition you're looking for. I'd say hunt down the local English car club(s) and get their input as to what's available in the area first. They may have knowledge of other cars for sale.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You need to be VERY careful with these people. He sources vehicles from all over the USA. I would be more tempted to purchase from a private seller. I love the show/driver level...WTH does that mean?
Cheers, David.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think you could get a perfectly functional B in outstanding condition for a whole lot less than that. I've been poking around for a BGT in outstanding condition to follow up on a crazy idea I have about driving 40k miles a year. I have found two very good examples in the $10k range. They were both 1973's, so not late '60's but it gives you an idea of value. For $30 range, you're in big Healey territory. IMHO, you could do allot better than $30k, FWIW. Follow Doc's advice and talk to as many local enthusiasts before you spend anything.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Welcome to the Forum. Take your time,the right car will pick you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, to much $ for an early B.

I like Doc's suggestion about local car clubs.

Patrick

clyderedmond

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but that is very high indeed for an MGB. There are lots of good, well maintained cars available for far less money. As was mentioned, try a local club for leads. Check e-bay to get an idea of values, not necessarily to purchase. Were you to spend $30K I don't think you would ever be able to break even on a sale down the road should it become necessary.

OP
R

Rays

I am willing to spend what is needed to get a fully restored car; I don't expect 100% reliability but I don't want a car that needs any work either. I have seen some cars at auction sell for around $15-20K for this condition.

I guess I'm wondering if the extra premium classicshowcase would charge would be worth it since I would know the restoration would be done properly.

BTW, Classicshowcase does sell cars at auction; they have a 1967 Healy in Kruse International Las Vegas next month. They are currently asking $85K for it, although they did not do the restoration themselves on that particular car.

Also, here is their definition of a "show driver":
A show-driver level vehicle is a 95+ point vehicle. These vehicles are generally found in a climate controlled facility and driven to Concours judging and car shows. The components are original or a proper replacement.
Everything that is completed in the driver level restoration is also done to the Show-Driver, but we take the vehicle to the next level, inspecting and replacing items as needed.
We carefully look the vehicle over noting what is original, what has been altered, what is not working, and what is missing. Depending on the unoriginal or altered parts, we may or may not bring the vehicle back to its complete original condition since some alterations have been made to improve the vehicle.
We start to access the overall condition and document it with a complete set of photographs and notes. After doing various tests on the vehicle, we then start the disassembly of the vehicle, again taking note of all parts and listing what will need replacing, restoring, or repairing. The disassembly process is very important to correct and account for the vehicles alterations and changes during its past.
The body is stripped to bare metal and our experienced technicians work it into the original shape. The rust is removed and replaced with new factory original panels. When these are unavailable, we fabricate panels from the correct gauge sheet metal. The doors, bonnet, and boot are properly fit to the body and then removed. Our technicians will continue to spend time fitting the doors, panels, and boot, working the body to ensure a nice smooth finish on the vehicle. The body and parts are epoxy sealed, painted with high quality paint, color sanded, and buffed to the proper sheen.
The frame is restored and refinished and the suspension is detailed and/or powder coated. Most of the structural hardware is replaced and usually upgraded.

I do have some experience with British cars, I used to own a Sunbeam Alpine.

Thank you for your welcome and replies.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I agree with the above.

Having said that, it is NOT cheap to do a proper restoration, so they are probably not out of line in asking to be paid that much for the work, if it is done to a high standard. Looking at a car they have recently finished, or seeing one in the process of being restored by them will give you some idea of how good their work is.

It is cheaper to buy a car from someone who has done a full restoration, enjoyed the car for a few years, and is now willing to sell it for a lot less, maybe half as much.The downside is you won't have control over what colour it is painted or other details like whether it is converted to an alternator etc.

Be patient and look at several cars before making a decision.
Simon.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey Ray, you sure you want a "67" gotta smog it regularly???.---Keoke

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last year for non-smog cars was '67.

OP
R

Rays

From the California DMV:

"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 1975 and older."

Steve_S

Yoda
That seems like a fair price to pay for a professional ground up restoration of a Mark I MGB. However the final product will be worth considerably less. If you plan to keep the car forever then perhaps the resale value is meaningless. But if you plan to sell it a few years from now then you will lose a good chunk of money.

I bought a show winning '67 BGT three years ago and have been driving it daily since. I've never had a breakdown and find it a wonderful car in all respects. I'll sell it for $20K including free delivery. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

MgKid1974

Welcome to the forum!

Since everyone is giving their opinion, I will too.

Personally I dont think any MGB is worth $30,000...even if it has matching numbers, perfect body, and number one MGB off the assembly line and sent to the United States in 1963. I am sure there are some out there that would be willing to argue with me about that statement, but thats just me. There were just so many MGB's put through production over that 17 year period they were made that they arent that collectable. Most people who collect MG's are diehard MG fans our outright fans of all British cars. I bought my car on ebay for 3k with the idea in mind to have a rolling restoration MGB that will get me to school and work in between parts of the process and I am 100% positive you can find a nice, "reliable" MGB on ebay for at least $8,000.

But, if your looking for a car that will win a bunch of shows for you, and your willing to setup a temperature control system (like they said in the estimate thingy) in your garage and attend (and spend) on that car like its your baby, then knock yourself out, because that car will hopefully be pristine when they are done with it.

Good luck on your decision.

-Greg

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Agreed on principle, but.... You can also argue that a 1500 sq. ft. condo isn't worth $1.5 million. To most of us it isn't. Here's the but: Even in the current housing market, they're selling for that much.

"Value" is relative. If it sells, it was worth the cost. Not to you, maybe, and not to me - but to somebody. Which would mean, in practice, that a well-restored car is worth more than some of us realize.

R.

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Throwing in my two cents, which agrees with most people.

I don't feel the car is "worth" 30k on the open market.

It will be similar to buying a new car, as soon as you drive that car off the lot it will depreciate considerably.

That being said, if you were not going to do any work yourself, and have a professional shop do all the work mentioned in the add, you could easily find yourself in the $30k neighborhood.

So if you have the money and plan on keeping that car until you can no longer drive, it is worth considering.

Depending on the person, this deal could be a bad investment or a great purchase.

Good luck deciding!
Rob

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have read all of his rubbish before. I was around when he first started his operations. Once watched as they fitted an old used up MG emblem to a freshly chromed grill surround.
Hook, line and sinker! Sounds like you are sold.

OP
R

Rays

Grantura_MKI said:
I have read all of his rubbish before. I was around when he first started his operations. Once watched as they fitted an old used up MG emblem to a freshly chromed grill surround.
Hook, line and sinker! Sounds like you are sold.

I am not sold, as I was asking for opinions and thanks for yours. I think I will be patient and look for a restored car at auction, and hopefully pay less than $20K for what I am looking for.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Much better plan! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif