• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Works Boot Rack [ For boot read trunk]

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After much gnashing of teeth and scratching my head I have finally got around to fitting the works type boot rack that Santa got me for last Christmas, just in time for the short trek to Goodwood revival at the end of next week.

The Domestic Goddess just happened to mention that we were meeting up with around a dozen Belgians and wouldn't it be nice if we could take a load of spare collapsible chairs, and wasn't it a shame that the boot rack had not yet been fitted.

I had been working on another method of fixing the bottom of the 'vertical' struts but I must confess that I had not got very far with it. So, yesterday I took the bull by the horns and using the ball pien hammer and some protective cloth I stuck a blow, well several actually, to shape those bottom fixing brackets to the curves of the boot edge, shame they do not come pre-shaped there is a great danger of damaging the chrome.

That done successfully, I then set about the hinge fixings, now one of the hinge pins was fine, the other was a bear to remove and I subsequently found that it was a bit of old wood screw thread, ( did I say that this car has been repatriated from the USA !!) any way quickly moving on, I repaired the worn hinge section with a new sleeve of brass tubing of the correct size for the new hinge pins and set about fitting the rack to the boot lid. That's where the wheels really fell off.

I am not sure if it was a rogue unit or they are all made the same but the two lugs that are supposed to be fitted to the new hinge pins were around 5mm or more too close together. I was working up a plan to make new hinge pins to alleviate the problem, however I could see problems looming there as well so in the end I judiciously cranked the lugs over using a large vice and some grips taking care not to damage the chrome, it worked a treat.

My question to the assembled good and the great who have carried out this work themselves is :- have you experienced similar dimensional problems with your racks? I would be interested to find out as I am considering writing a stiff letter on cardboard to my supplier to get their manufacturer to start making 'em right, considering that they are not cheap.

:cheers:

Bob

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
The instructions on the Moss page show an alternate installation for the lower leg connections and a discussion of the need for OEM hinges rather than repros.

https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/instructions/644-730.pdf

I haven't installed one myself as I have always found that the rear parcel shelf and the meager trunk were enough. It helps that I never change clothes!

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I never liked the flat position to the rack, so have cut the struts down. This puts the rack on an angle and looks like the trunk-mounted racks.
Bob

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glen

The Moss alternative was something that I was working on, well similar anyway, as I was going to install a 'bucket' on each of the bumper irons for the legs to drop into with a through pin to lock the legs into position, I was trying to get out of drilling the boot lid, and if I had completed the detail I would have got them chromed. But speed became a necessity so I installed it as the original works intention.

As you don't change clothes I assume you buy new every month or two? when the going gets tough.

:cheers:

Bob

Mert

I have a boot rack that fits any 3000 or 100 series Healey. It is For Sale. Comes with mounting brackets and an installation sheet.. Listed on eBay...

Attachments

• 100_2632.jpg
    100_2632.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_2635.jpg
    100_2635.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 62

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The rack I borrowed for a trial fit had the same hinge pin location problem as you. I gave it back to the owner and bought a Cape Sport rack. I am very satisfied with the Cape Sport rack.