• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Work Continues. Proggress being made

crash21

Country flag
It's hard to believe that it's been over a year since I posted here. Sorry about that to anyone following the progress.
I thought I was going to have to sell the car due to some unfortunate events with mine and my wifes employment but those worked themselves out and work is continuing.
These are some pics of the current condition of the car.
The floorpan fitment is going pretty well along with the trial fitting of the inner and outer sills. I stall have a few places where the rust had started in the seam and rusted not only the floor pan but the adjoining panel as well so i have to make pieces to fill those gaps and restore the flanges for the floor to attach to.
But it is definitely coming along and I am happy with the results so far.
As always, thanks for looking.

IMG_20220721_125211 by Firebird2, on

IMG_20220721_125119 by Firebird2, on Flickr

IMG_20220721_125114 by Firebird2, on Flickr

IMG_20220721_125143 by Firebird2, on Flickr

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice! Keep at it and the rewards of driving it will get closer.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh Wow, how pretty is all that nice new panel work, how i wish such panels were still available for my panther instead of all needing to be hand made

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Nice work and looks like a lot of it; fitting those new panels pulled me in a lot of directions the last time I did it. I am curious are you going to plug weld the holes? And what diameter hole are you using?

I spent the summer improving my ability to weld and found that rewarding. Are you going to MIG weld? My nephew came by to give me some input, and he felt I should use a bigger hole than 3/16 something like 3/8 or a ½ and your holes look like 3/8.

When I plug welded with a 3/16 hole with my welder, the weld would fill and cooled too fast and not penetrate; probably because the car was so thin. Plus the new panel metal is thicker and the new metal poor in iron quality from what i hear. I guess they use filler when making the tin.

I have not tried what he suggested yet with the bigger hole, but when I do, I am going to try welding across the hole at the top and bottom of the hole, rather than filling the hole and trying to bring the metal all together in one weld with out burning through or balling up.

I am curious how your welding goes because I am learning and consider welding a new hobby in itself, so please keep posting

steve

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
Nice work and looks like a lot of it; fitting those new panels pulled me in a lot of directions the last time I did it. I am curious are you going to plug weld the holes? And what diameter hole are you using?

I spent the summer improving my ability to weld and found that rewarding. Are you going to MIG weld? My nephew came by to give me some input, and he felt I should use a bigger hole than 3/16 something like 3/8 or a ½ and your holes look like 3/8.

When I plug welded with a 3/16 hole with my welder, the weld would fill and cooled too fast and not penetrate; probably because the car was so thin. Plus the new panel metal is thicker and the new metal poor in iron quality from what i hear. I guess they use filler when making the tin.

I have not tried what he suggested yet with the bigger hole, but when I do, I am going to try welding across the hole at the top and bottom of the hole, rather than filling the hole and trying to bring the metal all together in one weld with out burning through or balling up.

I am curious how your welding goes because I am learning and consider welding a new hobby in itself, so please keep posting

steve
I own a welder but it certainly does not qualify me as a welder..lol. I am learning too.
I haven't started welding yet but I never considered that the holes wouldn't be big enough for adequate penetration. I will have to check into that and see what the result is. Yes I believe the spot weld bit I have been using is 3/8.
Yes I plan to use a Mig with .030 wire.
The other piece that is not pictured in these pics is the backs of both of the B-Pillars. I have already removed the LHS along with all the pieces you see and of course will have to weld it back on.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the encouragement and for looking.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been a panel beater for close to 35 years, before you touch anything with a welder.
Never assume nothing has moved, on a roofless car the only strength is in the floor and the cils, and chassis rails,
My advice is to hang the doors, make sure the door gap at the A post if perfect. Only then start welding in the new metal.
Keep checking gaps at A post, B post and cils.
I had to put a spitfire right once after some one had welded all panels on then found the doors were too big for the gap.

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
I have been a panel beater for close to 35 years, before you touch anything with a welder.
Never assume nothing has moved, on a roofless car the only strength is in the floor and the cils, and chassis rails,
My advice is to hang the doors, make sure the door gap at the A post if perfect. Only then start welding in the new metal.
Keep checking gaps at A post, B post and cils.
I had to put a spitfire right once after some one had welded all panels on then found the doors were too big for the gap.
Right you are.
In those pics the car is sitting on the old frame. There are both side to side and diagonal bracings inside the body shell.
I plan to cleco everything together, move the body to the new frame , which is also the one that will be used, and bolt everything down. Install the fenders and doors and THEN the welding will begin.
Thanks for the words of caution though.