• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wooden seat runners

catfood

Jedi Knight
Which way around do the wooden seat runner packing strips go? Big holes to the front or small?

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Yes big holes to the front. A tip that I did may help you, I made longer metal straps to go on top of the wood strips. The longer length helps hold down the front portion on carpet and prevents it getting chewed up by the seat track as it slides over top of the carpet edge. I also made them out of aluminum so they wont rust.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
MY tip is:
I added metal strips under the floor and added large fender type washers under the heads of the nuts, thinking it made the possible tear out of those seat retainers bolt less likely,in the event of an accident.

OP
catfood

catfood

Jedi Knight
Thanks guys. Went to fit the seat pans yesterday and realised I had only bought two seat runners instead of four, doh...

Country flag
I'm doing the body work on Mike Foote's old tri-carb right now. Well, that and Leonard's XK120.
Well, I hope I didn't cause you any undo work-hardening on one of the front corners; can't tell from this old pic if it was the RH or LH side now. My fee was he bought me a basic set__maybe 10 tools__of Martin Body Hammers and Dollies, to do the work on his car. I had them out just a few days ago, straightening an aluminum undershield on a girl's Z4/M Coupe.

A young girl backed into Mike's car at a 7-11 (or Racetrac?), and that was the start of the chain-reaction that resulted in the car being taken off the road. I straightened the fender and shroud, at least to an acceptable level, considering what the rest of the car looked like__we hadn't started using cute words like "patina" back then, lol.

In this shot, my ex was just about to give it a road-test, overseen by Mike & I. Afterwards I followed him back to Broussard to be put in his then new garage behind the trailer park. With the exception of driving it to & from the media blaster, that was the last time he drove it (unclear on the exact date, as there's no marking on the photograph). It was certainly the last time it was driven at speed, from Breaux Bridge to the Evangeline Thruway on I-10.

IMG_7103.jpg

Last time our mutual friend Layne Perkins was in Lafayette, he tried to contact Mike but was unable to, so we really don't know his then, or current state of health. He was a peculiar guy, and didn't have many friends, but if you were one of them, he'd do practically anything for you__like helping me erect that arch-bldg from start to finish, every single Saturday & Sunday for about eight (8) weekends in a row. I'd buy the beer afterwards, and we'd cook something from Poche's on the grill each Sunday. Good times.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
It doesn't look bad in that picture. I don't think it had been driven at all since he got it back from his blaster. When we got it he told us that was the last time he drove it was home from his blaster because his body guy wouldn"t do the paint until after it was blasted and primed, so that is what he did but never got any further. I had to change both rockers, the trunk floor, both floor boards and toe boards, and repair the outer frame rails. It's a good solid car now though.