• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Woo Hoo Getting a Top!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
When I was in Arizona on business last week, I stopped and visited a friend in Phoenix who has an EType also. HIs EType roadster has an original hard top. Now these hard tops (the original factory ones, not the cheap after market knock offs) are as rare as hens teeth! Maybe even as rare as hen's lips! Anyway, it turns out the friend is helping a neighbor of his sell a Series One EType with a hard top and he was willing to part with the hard top separately. I made an offer and the guy accepted! Woo Hoo! I'm gonna have a factory original hard top! It is complete and in excellent condition! Even has all the chrome! I'll be driving out there this week end in a pickup to get it!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WOO HOO!! Photo's as soon as possible.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That is outstanding, Boss!!!

Talk about ~luck~! :thumbsup:

Country flag
A guy pulled one out of his truck a few years ago at the Memphis car show. I happenned to be the first person to walk by. Like you, I make the guy an offer and he took it. I had two people ask me about it before I could get it to my car. I had been wanting one for years.

CONGRATS

Marv

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This one is painted the standard black, but my plan is to have it painted to match the color of my car (silver blue). I also hope to configure a hoist in my garage to easily remove and replacethe top. I got that idea from the movie 52Pickup in which Roy Scheider drove an identical Etype to mine with a matching hardtop.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
And this makes you happy? LOL

Enjoy your day and work hard on the Jag!

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Congrats!! I know it isn't rocket science, but I would like to see what you design for the hoist/storage system. Need to do the same thing with a piece of garage art that has been standing upright on the front edge for 15 years.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Marvin Gruber said:
There's a factory hardtop on Ebay right now, starting bid is $1995. Will watch for the heck of it.

Marv

Don't see them on ebay often. It will be interesting to see how much it goes for(if it goes). I feel good already :smile:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, here I am, standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, eating a Big Mac on my way home from Phoenix with my new top in the back of the pickup,

The deal almost didn't happen, but I'll fill in that story when I get home.

Sent from Basil's iPhone

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
aeronca65t said:
Basil said:
......standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona......

Eagles!

For what it's worth, I really like the look of most roadsters with hardtops, but especially the E-type. Congrats!

I saw a girl in a flat-bed Ford, but despite my yelling and waving my arms, she would not slow down to take a look at me! In fact she would not make eye contact at all and sped up!

I'm home by the way (18 hour round trip - whew!)

Pictures tomorrow when I get it cleaned up a bit.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I almost like it black!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Basil:

I have the hoist setup for the hardtop on my SL. Actually just bought the manual type off ebay. Definitely makes it a one man effort. I typically only use it twice a year..off in the spring and left hanging through the summer and dropped back on in the fall...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bibber....can you post a photo of that SL hoist.....I may want one for my SL.

Country flag
Looks just like my car. I think most of the Factory Hardtops were black, have only seen a couple that were painted body color. Didn't care for that much color. But each to their own.

Marv

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Tony...this is the one I have just the manual crank-up version...like it says there may be cheaper but it's nice....it has a solid padded bar that supports the weight of the roof and stabilizer strap to keep from spinning....I'll take a shot of mine and post it...the ad doesn't do much justice for pics...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Manual-Ha...sQ5fAccessories

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
BIBBER said:
Tony...this is the one I have just the manual crank-up version...like it says there may be cheaper but it's nice....it has a solid padded bar that supports the weight of the roof and stabilizer strap to keep from spinning....I'll take a shot of mine and post it...the ad doesn't do much justice for pics...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Manual-Ha...sQ5fAccessories

Cant tell much from that EBay picture. Do you have nay of yours that might show more detail?