• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wiring Check. Alternator wiring.

cjowett

Freshman Member
72MGB rebuilt Alternator but no wiring reference.
Can anyone tell me where the Black, Brown and Yellow wires connect to?
It may need someone to go and look at their own just to check but I would be very grateful as I have been trying to find out for over a week now.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 198900-IMG_8679.GIF
    198900-IMG_8679.GIF
    189.2 KB · Views: 70

Bugeye58

Yoda
What's the part number of the alternator? There are different alternators, and the rectifier wiring is specific to the alternator being used.
Jeff

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
There should be no black wires going to the alternator. The solid brown wires go to the larger terminals with the larger gauge wire going to the middle terminal. If there is an 'exciter' wire it goes beside the big brown wire on the large terminal adjacent to it. The small brown/yellow goes to the small terminal. This is assuming you have the three terminal alternator. Check/clean the connections on the starter solenoid . Also , make sure the alternator light works correctly.

Alan T

Bugeye58

Yoda
Alan, he is referring to the internal wiring of the regulator, judging by his attached picture. Just need to know which alternator.
Jeff

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Oops.....missed the pic. The original alternator had a three or four wire regulator. Rebuilders typically replaced it with a two wire and connected it differently. So is that regulator a two wire regulator?

Alan T

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Well I have a perfect image of the alternator you need to see but cannot get it to download because the file is too large. Anywho , the black wire goes under the brush holder bolt (ground) , the yellow wire on the outer brush contact and the orange wire opposite the yellow on the same contact.
There should be a jumper connection from the center brush to the top of the regulator .
Alan T

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
I'm afraid it has no part number visible. I'm going to see if I can work it out by the post that AlanT has written. Thanks for your help.
Colin.

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
OK, that is well described and should help me get my car on the road. I'll let you know!
Thanks
Colin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
It Runs!!!!!!!

Ignition light is still on but I think that is because the battery is so old and needs replacing.

Ignition light only comes on when the alternator is not working right... It's not a battery light.... Unfortunately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Before condemning the battery, charge it for a good while and try again... worth a shot.

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
Worth trying. I like to save money. I come from Yorkshire in the UK where we keep our wallets under lock and key! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

My wallet hasn't been seen nor heard from since 1995. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
AlanT,

As my Ignition light is still on I suspect I did not fully understand your response but if you have an image would you mind sending it to me by e mail?
My address is colinjowett@gmail.com if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks,

Colin.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Colin,
The image has been sent to you. The extra piece with the yellow wire is a surge diode and not found in too many rebuilt units.

Alan T

OP
C

cjowett

Freshman Member
Well, I made the change and it runs perfectly with no ignition light on and the battery seems to be holding charge again. Thanks for your help, it's great knowing that there are others willing to help.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Colin,
Make sure the light comes on with the engine off and the ignition on. Then if it goes out when the engine is running it almost has to be charging.
Alan T