Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Years ago I used regular axle grease. That is NOT what I should have used. I recently had to re-lube the square wiper motor on our GT6 and this time I took the cleaned parts and lubed the motor gears with Vaseline. I degreased the flexible rack and lubed it with Vaseline also. I soaked the oilite motor bushings in 20W oil. Finally, I modified some plastic cap-plugs to work as oil cups and placed these over the wheelbox shafts over night. The oil ran down into the wheelbox bushings and lubed them. Now the wipers work faster than they have in the 16+ years we've owned the car.
There may be specific grease called out for the motor gears and flexible rack. Since you are unlikely to find the exact grade and brand of British grease originally used, I'd just make sure whatever grease you use is thin and light to minimize drag.
I used to use vasoline but it melted out of my wiper motor in the hot summer heat.
Now I lube the motor and rack with white lithium grease from one of those squeeze tubes.
So far so good, a few cars done this way and some years under their belts and they are all still fine.
White lithium grease is I think what was originally found in them! Vaseline will liquify in short order and axle grease is a bit heavy for the application!
Lithium grease will indeed stay in place longer than the Vaseline. However, I'm content with what I achieved recently.
I do not think Lithium grease was the original factory lube. When I was having trouble identifying the orientation of the conical spring washer for the square wiper motors I had a friend in the U.K. photograph the insides of one for me. He said that the motor shown in the link below has NEVER been opened until this photograph was taken. https://www.146g.com/images/dr3a_5.jpg
You'll note that this grease isn't white, off-white, or even grey from metal particles, it's thick and brown like axle grease.
The two I've opened and cleaned looked exactly like that.
I found several references to Ragosine Listate grease and Shell Turbo 41 oil as the original lubricant. Castrol LM is supposed to be the modern equilivant. I understand that Castrol LM is a high melting point lithium based grease.
Jack, in Florida I imagine any grease would work. However, when fall and winter bring temperatures below freezing, thick grease will slow the wipers to a useless speed. (And I only live in NC where cold isn't that bad). However, that's why I now have Vaseline in my wiper gears and 20W oil in the bushings.
Took the cover off a virgin NOS wiper motor to install the cable. Here's what I found. https://tinyurl.com/mswlb8
By the way, what's the proper routing of the cable? Does it go between the stiffener and the scuttle panel as it travels from the driver side box toward the passenger side box?
Came with the project car along with a bunch of other NOS stuff the PO had purchased in 1978 but never installed. The photos at Spritespot.com show most of the NOS stuff. In addition to the NOS stuff he had rebuilt the transmission and carbs but never installed them either.
That's a wonderful photo log of your work. Excellent photographs.
I have a question though. The replacement NOS wiper motor you installed does not appear to have the self-parking switch. Would a Bugeye have had the self parking motor as shown in the "before" photographs, or is the NOS motor you have correct?
Pop my bubble!! This is a DR2 wiper motor but w/o the self park switch. I have the original DR2 w/the self parking switch that I intend to re-build. I may have a NOS wiper wiper motor for sells soon. Got to think about this for a while.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.