• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wiper Arms

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have recently bought a wiper assembly on Ebay for my TR-2. I have it installed, but have run into a problem. The spindles for the arms have larger diameter threaded shafts and the turning shaft is larger in diameter then the original that came on the car. Have any of you run into this problem when installing a non-stock wiper assembly on you TR-2 or 3? Looking for a arm that will fit.

Dick

Frank_D

Country flag
I replaced my TR3A wiper wheels boxes a couple of years back and like you bought them on eBay. The splines on the old ones were worn and arms were falling off. Installed new wheel boxes but the splined shaft seemed smaller than the original not larger. Old arms would not stay on. Went to the dark side and bought Midget arms at Moss, part number 164-610. If you are not doing concours, this may help. There is a set screw to adjust and tighten the arms on the shaft. It worked for me and I now have flex blades instead of the rigid ones too.
Frank_D…..

Attachments

• D38F3701-483B-4E73-9CC8-3228DE425446.jpeg
    D38F3701-483B-4E73-9CC8-3228DE425446.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 47
  • D11AB661-CE60-4E93-9E4E-8A26602190C4.jpeg
    D11AB661-CE60-4E93-9E4E-8A26602190C4.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I replaced my TR3A wiper wheels boxes a couple of years back and like you bought them on eBay. The splines on the old ones were worn and arms were falling off. Installed new wheel boxes but the splined shaft seemed smaller than the original not larger. Old arms would not stay on. Went to the dark side and bought Midget arms at Moss, part number 164-610. If you are not doing concours, this may help. There is a set screw to adjust and tighten the arms on the shaft. It worked for me and I now have flex blades instead of the rigid ones too.
Frank_D…..
Frank,
I looked at the 164-610 arms in the Moss catalog. Question. When you tighten the screw, does it clamp on to the shaft> Did you have to do anything to the spindle shaft as it looks like it would just move up the shaft rather then clamp on to it?

Dick

Frank_D

Country flag
Yes it clamps onto the shaft. There is a small wedge inside the collar into which that set screw goes. As you tighten the set screw it pulls up the wedge to effect the clamping process. The only draw back with these arms is that they will not flip up off the glass into a vertical position. You can lift them up but not all the way and they will not stay off the glass. I can live with that. Hope that helps.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes it clamps onto the shaft. There is a small wedge inside the collar into which that set screw goes. As you tighten the set screw it pulls up the wedge to effect the clamping process. The only draw back with these arms is that they will not flip up off the glass into a vertical position. You can lift them up but not all the way and they will not stay off the glass. I can live with that. Hope that helps.
Thanks, these are actually what I need. I just couldn't figure out how that tab engaged the shaft. The wedge explains it!

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The TR2 uses plain studs, no serrations like the TR3. The arms are held with a brass nut that tightens onto the plain stud. So the TR2 and TR3 are not interchangeable…not even close to one another.