• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wife....car....wife....car.....wife...car....help!

John Morralee

Re: Wife....car....wife....car.....wife...car....h

I guess I am lucky --- my wife has a hobby : her garden. With plants at astronomical prices (compared to, say, an engine rebuild)we seem to avoid the subject of quite what that particular item cost; be it soft, green and likely to die next year or a useful piece of hardware which is bound to appreciate over the next 50yrs.So get her a hobby. Erh: must close in haste; she has just come in.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful

A friend of my ex-wife commented to her, "Well, look on the bright side. He doesn't have a mistress." Her reply: "I prefer the mistress. He would be home a lot more."

Current wife is very understanding. She loves horses. Owning a horse is like having a kid in college, perpetually, until the end of time.

She has her horses and I have my cars. I go to her horse shows and she goes to my car shows. I don't groom her horses and she doesn't work on my cars. Worked out pretty well, considering.

The moral of this story is to spend as much time on your wife's interests as on your own.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
...how can i get her to accept/get comfortable with this healey endevor?

I had a guy with 20 plus years of LBC restorations say it'll take about 30K to get a concourse quality resto out of my rusty hunk-u-pooh! (thats with him doing all the work)Im okay with that, i doubt it'll decrease in value as the years go by, but you should have seen the look on my wifes face when she heard that number... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I'm thinking about the obvious alternative. Take that $20-30k and sink it into a brand-new (pick whatever make/model) vehicle. Drive it, enjoy it, and take reasonably good care of it...and see what it's worth 5, 10, or 15 years from now. With very few exceptions, it's likely to drop to maybe 10-20% of the purchase price...and at least another 10-15 years to climb back.

Meanwhile, even if the prices of Healeys and other beloved LBCs peak in the next 10 years and (horror!) begin to level off or even drop, I doubt they'll plummet in the same way.

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful

David

It's quite simple.

You have a seperate bank account that she doesn't know about that you replenish with lots of cash on a regular basis. Especially if your doing a restoration because it's kinda like building a house. You'll run at least 25% over what you thought you could do it for! I'm speaking from very recent experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

DT

bighly

Jedi Knight

Take her to dinner, pamper her, tell her you love her. Buy her roses, shut up and listen some times, discuss things, go on a trip. Do not talk about Healeys. Later (after a 3 month blitzkreg campaign of attentiveness) she will be willing to listen, let her know exactly how you feel. You seem to have fear that she will pull the plug on your project, tell her so.

As a side to all this. I had a neighbor in Boise Idaho in the 90s who literally had 40 LBCs in a pole barn 8 times the size of his tiny house. I asked him if he would sell one and he said "no, my children can have fun selling them when I am dead". He further went on to say his wife once gave him the "either the cars go or I go ultimatium". He is single. True story, I think Dave Russell knows who I am talking about as this guy is a local eccentric in Boise.

got tired of the games so i took the more drastic route, third wife was the keeper.(no children involved). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful

LOL, so many wonderful and witty replys, thank you all! I'll pick and choose and will follow all the best wisdom thrown out here.

there will have to be a negotiated compromise on this issue because i'm not quiting the resto, and i'm not getting rid of her. She knew i was into cars when she met me, so.....

anyway, thanks again to you all!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

there will have to be a negotiated compromise on this issue because i'm not quiting the resto, and i'm not getting rid of her. She knew i was into cars when she met me, so.....

[/ QUOTE ]

And so!! what chu think that has to do wid it.Better get that expensive red wine.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And so!! what chu think that has to do wid it.Better get that expensive red wine.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes a stone pillar! Unshakable, ummovable, un-wine and dinable! I am so screwed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes a stone pillar! Unshakable, ummovable, un-wine and dinable! I am so screwed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

------Well then I guess you jest don't have a bit of wiggle room.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

------Well then I guess you jest don't have a bit of wiggle room.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh... but i do have charm! and that switch just got thrown! Watch out all... the charm train is full speed!
(i'll et ya know the results!)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

AH! He got the message; "Begining the learning phase"---Wiggle,Wiggle ,Wiggle---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

cnsky54

Freshman Member

I have taken my restored RHD TR6 to timbn2's house and his wife liked it, but it hasn't helped with the AH controversy. Try this simple math on her:

IF you spent $30K at the outside (and you won't if you do a lot of the work, but just for a working number), break it down for her:

Over maybe a five year restoration, $6000 per year,
then $500 a month.

That amount equals what, two shifts at the hospital per month? We also need OT staff to fill in vacation and sickness 'holes' in the schedule, so.....tell her that you ONLY want to devote maybe two or fewer shifts per month to your wonderful hobby. And if you take a couple of the extra open shifts a month, you don't hardly impact the household budget at all. And then do what everyone else here suggests about being attentive, flowers, romance. Just NEVER mention a big number again regarding the car. Keep it in terms of shifts at work and it's not so painful.

FYI for everyone else, I'm single. Don't have to explain anything to anyone...

R

Randi

Holy cow I've been gone along time! A explain how $40,000.00 Mazda's depreciate-B learn to do part of the work-preferably with her or you child, grand child or relative whom she enjoys being around-C document progress and make sure she feels part of it-get supportive friends to complement her agreeing to such a worthy restoration,D let her pick the color, etc...........Randi

sjgcpa

Country flag

Hate to say it but your math is wrong. You need to budget for your divorce attorney and the cost of hers if she does not go along with your project. I started with an inexpensive two seat TR4 for my son and me. We then took her along for rides and in time she loved it. So naturally the next step was to by a car with 4 seats so we all could go. She now enjoys the car and club as much as my son and me. Good luck.