• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why I studied hard in school!

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
My dad was a journeyman ironworker (welder)--union member. Did construction in WW2--In those days, sons of fathers who worked in
trade construction were expected to follow their fathers in that trade--The unions provided apprenticeship training for young men
desiring to be a member of that craft--The ironworker-apprentice, learned welding-cable splicing--rope and knot tying, and being familiar with all the
"tools" of the trade. I had my Ironworker apprentice card--1949--15 years old. (I'm 86 now). My first paycheck was $98.50! --- 3 bucks had already been taken out for union dues--That doesn't sound like much, but you could buy a new Ford 2-door for 1600-1700 bucks!. Mom would come home with
a big bag of groceries for $20--
My welding skills have come in handy during the past 40 years that I've owned and worked on "British Cars"--

After a couple of summers as an "apprentice ironworker"--I decided that I didn't really want to follow my dad in that line of work.
I studied hard in school,, became a Navy Pilot--(got shot at in Viet Nam)--then an Airline Pilot--(Pan American)--now retired, and spend
my time and money restoring old British cars--( past cars--4 Nash Metros--2 Morris Minors--Austin A35--MG Midget)-
My wife loves my "old car" hobby--she says she always knows where I am--in the garage--underneath the hood of my current
1958 Nash Metropolitan--or laying underneath it (maybe taken a nap!)--