Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
A few years ago several people (Jack, Tony and others) knew of a chrome shop in the southeast who did great work-
Anyone remember the name of the shop? Not for me (obviously! ) but another guy in the MG club has an MGA and wants some chroming done.
Thanks
BillM
Iirc, Graves was used early on, but Knox was used later. I had some work done by Graves years ago and it turned out ok, but was really expensive. I've not used Knox personally, but I understand the quality is great and the pricing is much better. Ray should be able to give us the lowdown on Knox.
Rut
Don't think I'm the Jack you're talking about, but Atlantic Coast Plating in Athens, TN also does really nice work. Price was "reasonable" for plating, but all chrome plating seems pretty expensive.
I used EFS plating in Port Orchard. A couple bad experiences locally until I found this place. They do great repairs, and many types of plating-definitely better than original. I even got a tour of their facility. Sure involves a lot of steps - I can see why plating costs so much.
Several years ago I found that a few "plating" shops do prep work, then send it to Mexico to be plated. I didn't use these shops, so I can not comment on the quality. It just seemed rather "fly by night".
A few years ago several people (Jack, Tony and others) knew of a chrome shop in the southeast who did great work-
Anyone remember the name of the shop? Not for me (obviously! ) but another guy in the MG club has an MGA and wants some chroming done.
Thanks
BillM
Bill I would think that there should be some chrome shop's right across the border to the south of you that would do work reasonably. So Cal hot-rodder's used to get all kind's of deal's down there. You just had to watch out for the tuck and roll upholstery stuffed with straw from the stable!
Unfortunately the shops to the south have a reputation for "less than great" work and California shops have LOTS of EPA stuff to contend with. I would have more problem with the EPA except that when I lived here 30 years ago the smog was really bad but now it is so much better that I have a hard time arguing with them!!
My MGA is NOT ready for chrome work yet- I am still rearranging the floor frames to accept the Datsun transmission and the body work is still a "work in progress" but I am having a real body-work guy do the outside so this car will be more of a "car" and less of a "crate"!
BillM
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.