• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WHO DAT?!

G

Mickey Richaud said:
And ya gotta wonder:

Who's Archie Manning rooting for? He has a conundrum on his hands!

They had him on the news last night. He kinda danced around it, but has already said he's for the Colts. Says he's proud of the team and they deserve to be there which is like saying an ugly person has a good personality. If the Saints lose, Archie better have good fire insurance. I don't think they care for the team, or Peyton would be playin' for 'em now. Same w/ Farve. Drew has earned his place! Don't be suprised if they win of a new statue in front of ST. LOuis cathedral of Drew riding a Colt.

Mickey, there is a company here that ships boiled crawfish outta state. Should tyo be able to get some other stuff too. Won't be cheap.

British Motoring Club of N.O northshore group meets at the Abita brew pub. I like T.D and Amber, but nothing beats a Wheat w/ lemon in the summer.

You should be able to get Abita up there, can ya?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, I can get it, but there's something about the atmosphere down there that makes everything different.

Same goes with the food. I cook my own stuff, using Crystal Hot Sauce (never have liked Tabasco that much), Camellia Red Beans, etc., etc. Only thing we can't get is REAL French bread for our po-boys. Zip and Dorignac's are my choices.

My church is planning a crawfish boil in May, and I'm going to have them shipped up then. Shopping for prices now....

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
And a muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery. Or a poboy from Domilise's. Or a cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde. Or some fried chicken from Corinne Dunbar.

Going to work on my son's house over the weekend in the Irish Channel. Got a room downtown for Saturday. The wife suggested we go in on Friday and stay through Saturday instead. The hotel gladly let me give up the Saturday night reservation and switch to Friday. They are all booked Saturday. Gonna be a party in that town, win or lose. I kinda don't think Indianapolis will have quite the party spirit, win or lose.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
And a muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery. Or a poboy from Domilise's. Or a cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde. Or some fried chicken from Corinne Dunbar.

10-4 on Central Grocery. There are so many good poboy palaces down there - each of which is a bit different. Hard to pick.

Cafe au lait for us was always at the Morning Call (at least until they moved out in the Parish).

Liuzza's was one of my haunts. There and Manale's - marinated crab claw heaven!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
ecurie_ecosse said:
How come you are not as wide as a house,Mickey?? You sure eat a lot of that Cajun food. :devilgrin: :jester:

Stuart. :cheers:

Kinda like my calling, you know? Everyone knows clergy only work one hour a week...

...I only eat one meal a day! :smirk:

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Mickey Richaud said:
ecurie_ecosse said:
How come you are not as wide as a house,Mickey?? You sure eat a lot of that Cajun food. :devilgrin: :jester:

Kinda like my calling, you know? Everyone knows clergy only work one hour a week...

...I only eat one meal a day! :smirk:

Would that be "all day" Mickey? :devilgrin: :jester:

I'm a nibbler and nibble all day. :rolleyes:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I plead the fifth.

Or maybe a magnum.

G

TR6BILL said:
Or a cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde.

When I worked at H.D of N.O , I lived above Check Point Charlie's at the corner of Decateur and Esplanade. I would go down to Cafe' DuMonde and have 'au lait and "bagnets" (as my grandmother would call them, she's the only one who did that) for breakfast. At the corner of Gov Nic and Decateur, there was a small grocery that sold 1/4 muffs for $2 DOLLARS. They were great and I didn't have to walk all the way to Central. ( o.k, it's not that much further but it was on the way to the bar I lived at.)

I never did dig Manale's.

Thought about going downtown this weekend but I think I've had enough of it for a lifetime. I worked at the afformentioned club durring the super bowl of '97 (that's when I almost hit Terry). It was crazy to say the least.

From what I've heard, it's gonna be $60 to park AND UP !!!! Thought about taking the Algiers ferry in. Too much hassle. Kelly wants to stay home, neither of us drink anymore. I hate to miss out on history, but I DON'T like Bourbon St. crowds on Mardi Gras and I'm afraid it'll be the same. I can catch it all on tv anyway.

Stu, it sounds like you fit right in!

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
The wife and I have a room at Harrah's Hotel on Canal for Friday. Change of plans, the son's countertops won't be ready until Saturday, which means really next week. Sooooo, we just plan on cooling it in the the city Friday and Saturday. Some good eats, some good coffee (Rue de la Course, uptown), Whole Foods (yes, yuppie central), walk around Audubon Park (1.8 miles) and just chill.

History. I, too, worked in "the Quarter" back in the day. '66 to '70, as a bartender at La Boucherie and Harry's Place. Lived in the Quarter on St. Ann, listening to Mary Hopkins <span style="font-style: italic">Those Were The Days My Friends</span> and Edith Piaf. And talking to Ruthie the Duck Lady. The Big Easy is in my blood.

Who Dat indeed.............

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Cafe du Monde... "Doughnuts were too hot to touch..."

May them Saints go marchin' in.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"...be it pastry or lobster or love..."

Don't think there's no appreciation.

PlaidMan

Country flag
Mickey, you got it, ZAPP's it is. In all the excitement of the moment I forgot to mention my liquid of choice or should that be plural( Abita- several brews to start finishing with Coors Light) I need to watch calories somehow. My Bad, this is all for the pregame. For the Game we will have Chicken and Sausage and Andouille Gumbo with a little Potato Salad and Ciabatta bread smeared generously with Mama Mia's Garlic Spread from Sam's Club(GOOD STUFF) and more Coors for final rinses. Should I feel guilty? Nah, save that for another day.

Geaux Saints

Charlie