• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Where do I Start 74 TR6 Restore

Coyote1

I found a 74 TR6 that has been partly restored and then sat for 10 years because the owner passed away. It was painted, engine and trans. rebuilt, new seats and carpet kit (uninstalled) and a few other things. Overall it is in great shape. However, after 10 years and a couple of moves a lot of parts are now missing. No carbs or exhaust, no top frame, all internal door parts are gone and most of the misc. body nuts, bolts, etc.

Questions - Which manuals are best for identifying needed parts and how they install? Who are the best vendors for parts and help? Although rebuilt, after sitting for ten years (doesn't even have oil in it) what should I be concerned about with the motor/trans.? I'm a decent mechanic, have never done a restore but like a challenge so here goes.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
Larry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
"Larry's Excellent Adventure"!

Get a catalog from Moss Motors (www.mossmotors.com); you'll find it invaluable, and not just for ordering parts.

As for manuals, there are several good ones - can usually be found on ebay. This one is in the series that are good:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-...=item5199343645

And most of all, this forum is a fantastic source of info, as you'll soon find out.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know that there is any one best place to buy your parts. There are about 4 or 5 places that I use online. I also use eBAy and local places like NAPA, and Advanced on a limited basis.
Although not a repair manual The Roadster Factory has 2 parts catalogs that provide excellent illustrations of groups of parts that can be very helpful reassembling.
Once on the TRF site go to Parts Catalog Vol.1 (RFP228 if you want to buy it)
and 2nd Volumn (RFP231). Volumn 1 is often referred to as the "Blue" Book and Volumn 2 the "Green"

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
poolboy said:
I also use eBAy
But be very careful when buying on eBay. Many sellers are not especially knowledgeable about what parts fit which cars, and have a tendency to list any car their part might possibly be used on, whether it is correct or not.

My favorite was the seller who solemnly assured me that the disc brake rotors he was selling would fit my TR2. (As we all know, TR2s did not come with disc brakes.)

I'm not bashing any seller in particular, many of them are conscientious and know what they are talking about. This is just a general caution that not all of them are. Caveat Emptor.

PS, starting from scratch, I would suggest one of the BMIHT CDs with the factory service manual and factory parts catalog. Just be sure it is compatible with your computer, as some may not work on Windows Vista or 7.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I concur with Poolboy, the <span style="color: #33CC00">GREEN</span> and <span style="color: #3366FF">BLUE</span> parts catalogs from TRF are truly indispensable in that they not only show every conceivable part for every year TR6, but where each and every part goes on the car. I am not really sure if they are still available from TRF new, but they may be. Surely someone on Ebay has a pair.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The TRF books are also available for download from their web site.

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
I concur with Poolboy, the <span style="color: #33CC00">GREEN</span> and <span style="color: #3366FF">BLUE</span> parts catalogs from TRF are truly indispensable in that they not only show every conceivable part for every year TR6, but where each and every part goes on the car. I am not really sure if they are still available from TRF new, but they may be. Surely someone on Ebay has a pair.

Agreed with Pool Boy and welcome to the wonderful world of TR6. Definitely the Blue and Green Books along with all the other usual suspects. Hard to get a Green Book though. I would kill for a hard copy of the Green Book. Well, maybe not kill but fer sure maim a little. :smile:
Hey DNK - can he still get CDII from our other forum or do we only do downloads now?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob, That's Rick and Doug's deal.
They might have em

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rimmer Brothers also has good diagrams and I beleive it also comes on a CD.

OP
Coyote1

Coyote1

Thanks for the info. Got a couple of manuals coming from ebay, a moss book and will download TRF books.

Finally got underneath it and it appears that everything was rebuilt, replaced, etc. Also found that it has the overdrive which was a surprise. Now I'm going through all the boxes of parts to find what is there and what is not. Since it was totally striped and I have never worked on a Triumph, I've got a lot to learn. Going to look for a club in the Sacramento area where I may get some help.

Well, here goes. I'm sure you will see me again on the forum.

Larry

"The further I go, the behinder I get."

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Something everybody has failed to mention.
a nice bottle or 2 of a good single malt, helps sooth over those trying times

PeterK

Yoda
Ebay is a good start to see a lot of cars to get a better idea of what's missing and what-goes-where. A lot of us sell spares on ebay to fund our personal restores but as Randall stated it's best to know what you're buying first.

And most of all, start going to cars shows and talk to others about your restore.

OP
Coyote1

Coyote1

Thanks Don
That is a good point. However, my neighbor and I have this thing called a KEG that keeps us afloat. Problem is, every time we get into it, while working on a project, we start coming up with "change orders" which usually cost us more money. For example, a deck for a spa became a gazebo which now has a bar, lg. screen tv, stereo, tile floor, wood ceiling, mood lighting etc.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Coyote1 said:
...Also found that it has the overdrive which was a surprise...

I'm always getting surprised by my cars -- maybe someday they will surprise me with an OD.

X2 on Randall's caution re eBay. Awhile back there was a seller with a power window kit... for the TR3.

If you can hook up with a local (or nearly local) TR6 owner with a car of about the same vintage that may help a lot -- otherwise there will be times when you'll feel like you're doing a jigsaw puzzle without having the box lid.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Also try Craig's list. I got a bunch of good used parts from there from people who are parting out their cars.

Cheers

motek999

Freshman Member
You might want to buy a parts car. One that won't start but everything is there. Those little parts can get expensive. Also this way you can see where everything goes.

George