• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When did Google Maps become so faint?

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like browsing and planning with large paper maps, but when I am on the road (or on the water) I love having a GPS that tells me where I am on that map. I don't have the ability to use Google maps because that requires a device with constant data connectivity, so I use the OpenStreetMaps Navigator on my Android device (its a phone but technically not a phone because it has no SIM card or cell service). I also have a small Garmin but its much more difficult to update the maps on it - the Android device I can just take into any bar or coffee shop that has WiFi and hit UPDATE MAPS. For the Garmin I have to get a laptop computer, plus the Garmin, plus whatever version of the software might or might not work on the laptop, plus whatever driver might or might not work - haul it all to somewhere with WiFi and hope it works. The Garmin when updated is better however. It can track position even on a plane, something the cheap phone cannot.

I don't often use the turn-by-turn directions, usually just being able to see the map and where I am on it is enough information to get where I want to be. Google maps is by far the most informative (one of my friends had it on his phone while visiting a city neither of us were familiar with, and it even was able to give us accurate and reliable public transit info for taking the bus or train) but the downside is it is completely dependant on the internet - get somewhere where the internet isn't and you're on your own. My cheap phone with offline maps could tell me exactly which oil rig I was passing by in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico 300 miles from the nearest WiFi hotspot.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And sometimes the GPS voice just isn't what it used to be.

Back in the 1950s, I remember listening to the Monitor Radio weather forecasts. Given by Teri Thurman, known for having a ... provocative voice.

Here's Edie Adams on the Ernie Kovacs show, giving her impression of Thurman's style. Skip to 1:30.

(Even today, I remember my teenage reaction to Thurman's "Minneapolis ... 75 ... cloudy".)

cold shower time

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also have CityMaps2go on my cell phone for use when I'm out the country as it can be used completely off line.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Elliot, I reckon any city I am traveling to is going to have traffic issues so I just plan to sit on my rear and don't get in a hurry.