Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
There was someone making them awhile back, but I can't remember who. BTW, they are called SPATS. It was a rare option, so finding a set of originals would be quite a challenge, not to mention a rather high price.
One obvious caveat is that they will NOT work with wire wheels! The other is that they will be expensive whether original, reproduction or "homemade"!
Saw a pair for sale in 1985 at a VTR Meet in Michigan. Couldn't afford them then...or now. Quick anecdote: I bought a TR2/3 Spare Parts Catalogue from the person who was selling the spats. Got back to my room and realized that the page in that catalogue showing the spats was missing and remembered that he'd had that page on display with the spats themselves. Fortunately, he was still there and let me have the page! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Seems like they would fit very well when I have on my top hat and tails while escorting my wife to the ball! Of course that would be when the Rolls was indisposed.
I have mixed thoughts on them except to say they are not real handy when changing a wheel and I do think they make the car look heavier.
I had a set on my '81 Bonneville. I finally left them in the garage.
There was an original pair of green ones for sale on e-bay about a year ago. I heard they went for something like $1400.00 for the set.
A TR owner somewhere on the left coast was going top have a body man make him some just after that. He said he'd work from photos and the page from the parts catalog. I never heard if he had them made.
A set of repros just went on ebay a few weeks ago for 5 or 600 bucks. That's more than I have, though I've been thinking some spats might be nice...
I have found this through idle web browsing. https://www.skirtsandvisors.com/homepage.html. They don't list Triumph by name, but they might be able to do them, if asked. Their prices on what they do list are very encouraging. It's certainly worth an email inquiry. I haven't done it yet because I'm WAY far away from that level of completion.
tomshobby, they sometimes come with a little show of petticoats as well, just to set the heart racing....
Major concern about another seam to catch moisture
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.