• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Bearing Race Installation

BruceAllcorn

Does anyone have a tried and true method for installing new front and rear bearing races? This is for the front wheels on a BT7 Healey. I have the old ones out and I'm trying to find a correct way of installing the new ones.
Thanks in advance:feedback:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've used the Harbor Freight bearing and seal drivers - before that, appropriately-sized pieces of pvc pipe make cheap drivers that won't hurt anything.
For me, boiling the hubs in water and freezing the races in my garage freezer worked. If you do that they should tap right in - make sure the taper of the race is properly oriented!

Country flag
Similar to Steve's method, I've always had good luck by keeping the races in a freezer for a few days (I've never had a "deep" freezer, but I can appreciate its usefulness here) and heating the hubs in an oven. If you have a pair of__stick__welder's gloves, you can take the hub up to 250*-300*F with no problem.

The really fun part, and you need to be as accurate with your "drop" as possible, is the race will fall to the bottom of its bore with no hammering required. It makes the most rewarding clink that you can imagine!

Once only, out of dozens of times, did the race get cocked in the bore; the race will quickly equalize temperature and get stuck, and then has to be driven home__after you get it parallel again__with the drift & hammer that most folks used to begin with.

Chris_Masucci

I usually slice one of the old ones through, and then flip it over on top of the new one. That way i can tap on it with the perfect size driver and any steel drift or hammer without fear of damage. Helps keep things square too. The sliced old race pops out easily after use.

OP
B

BruceAllcorn

Thanks for all the great info. I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their bearing and seal drivers ($30). They matched up size-wise perfectly and made quick work of the races.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I usually slice one of the old ones through, and then flip it over on top of the new one. That way i can tap on it with the perfect size driver and any steel drift or hammer without fear of damage. Helps keep things square too. The sliced old race pops out easily after use.

Nice one Chris, I use the old race myself up to a point, then drift the bearing home gently going all round to keep it even. Then when putting the hub on the car - dry of course - tighten things up before shimming properly to make sure that the bearing is home. I never thought about slicing the old race - I will do that for next time.

:cheers:

Bob

busybrit

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That's a good idea. I install many bearings and have an assortment of old ones which I've ground down the o/d to use as you do. Cutting them would be easier and faster.