• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

what's this tool?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
A year or so ago I received a lot of clamps and vice grips - this was in the box. Anyone know what it is and what it is used for?

thanks!

pliers.jpg

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Silver
I think it is a form of a vice grip. The grip width is adjusted with the vice like screw. The handles are forced over center for the grip, the center lever releases the pressure. I'm on my second glass of wine, so I am pretty smart right now.

elrey

Darth Vader
I have got a slew of these, in various sizes. When you adjust them and close them they overcenter and there is no way they will reopen from the business end unless you spread the handles apart. One of their useful features is that the threaded end can fit up under a lip or avoid an obstruction.
Keep an eye out at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. as they are not cheap.
The majority of mine have no center lever.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
I have got a slew of these, in various sizes. When you adjust them and close them they overcenter and there is no way they will reopen from the business end unless you spread the handles apart. One of their useful features is that the threaded end can fit up under a lip or avoid an obstruction.
Keep an eye out at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. as they are not cheap.
The majority of mine have no center lever.

Thanks! In other news, did I ever mention my Midget was sold new in San Luis Ubispo?