• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What you getting done?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We can't burn. State put a ban on burning so the emergency services don't have extra burden. Seems like our regular Wed and Sat burn days have extra fire calls, just in town.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Decided that a 2-raol 0 tank car that was converted from 3 rail 0 needed to go back. Chiseled off the epoxied on coupler boxes, dug out some vintage Lionel rucks and couplers, put the car in service.

Took apart a pre-war Lionel steam engine a friend gave me, fixed the paint.....he got a little too conservative on the black over red primer on the lower parts. Paint done, dug up some hardware to replace what was wrong, polished rods.

Pictures of that railroad work would be nice ...

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got my ceiling painted and ...... while I had the ladder and paint out I decided to paint my living room wall.
Next up will be a much needed landscape project. I have to large mulched islands in my back yard. It's a lot of work to keep them mulched so I'm going to reduce the size of them by raking up the existing mulch then planting grass on the areas I'm raking up. A lot of work but it will look a lot when it's done.
To be continued......

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
View attachment 62925View attachment 62927Just two of the tanks. Trestle later today.

Thanks for the photos. That layout is *huge*. Back in the Dark Ages I had a big Pennsylvania Railroad layout, which belonged to my father from the 1920s. Sure wish I still had it.

Elliot - have you thought about just using chopped old leaves as mulch? Costs nothing, gradually composts, and keeps the weeds down.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Being locked down, our county has ruled no driving with the exception of medical emergency's, pharmacy pickup and groceries, which are ordered on line and picked up outside the store, you don't even get out of your vehicle. Me, tinkering with the TF, regular maintenance on field equipment, mowing grass & pastures. Other than going to the store on occasion, staying away from people. nothing new here! Like everyone else, were hoping they get a grip on this thing soon, so many family's lives have been destroyed already!! PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

The economic impact is gonna be so huge. Small businesses won't recover. we got another 30 days added yesterday.
Boeing closed a week or two ago. They shifted their headquarters to Chicago almost 19 years ago to get away from this state. Dealing with SPEEA union and all the stupid regulations, they started making stuff in South Carolina. Thoughts are they won't come back to this area, rather when this is all over, manufacturing will shift to more friendly locales.
Taxes are gonna hurt.....no employment taxes collected, mortgage payments? HA! Folks will default on houses, the price of housing will drop, property taxes will take a HUGE hit, and once they shifted schools to on-line, a lot of parents who felt the state pushing in directions they did NOT want will bring about a HUGE increase in home schooling...schools will be half full, teachers laid off.

The end is gonna be far, far worse than it is now.

And the big city's council in place have already started to push for a 1.3% tax on wages to be paid to the city.
Last time the leader of that pack tried that, Amazon started moving across the lake away from them.

Construction is stopped. All those million dollar homes being built are not going to have buyers.
Wasteland.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Has 3D printing made an impact on the Model Railway community or is that considered cheating?

I had a OO gauge layout way back in the 1960s. I think I was more into building the layout than running the trains. Not sure I remember what happened to it. Probable was encouraged to sell it as I rarely ran it just made a mess with plaster of Paris and saw dust.

David

D

Deleted member 8987

To a certain extent. Custom parts for some modification is one. I have two items no longer available....truck bolsters that failed due to "regrind". Pulled a good part off and had one of the guys who runs her cast (well, print) me a half dozen.

Then I was going through the stash of cars in the shop attic. Delton, been gone for what, 30 years? Have some of their cabooses, new in box, and a bunch of freight cars.
One caboose missing the plastic cast end......bean coupler pocket, handrails, vertical supports and ladder, all one piece.
Pulled the good one of, he printed a couple, fixed the car, we're good to go.