• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR2/3/3A What was best Spin Oil Filter for TR3 & 4 Engines?

karls59tr

Yoda
Bronze
Offline
This topic has probably been debated to death before but I'd be curious to know what others have read and what they decided was the best filter to use. I've been using Fram but came across an old post where someone said they wern't any good.
Anyone have a link or info as to filters and their stock number? Thx K.
 
Here's a few, ISTR the Napa is well-liked:

A/C Delco PFL400A
Purolator Pure-One PL20195
Mobil 1 M1209,
Motorcraft FL400S,
A.C. Delco PF56
FRAM PH3600
Motorcraft FL400
Purolator L20195
Wix 51516
NAPA 1516
Hastings LF134,135
Amsoil ASF34
 
I've seen those "reports" that say Fram is no good. Generally they operate by cutting the filters apart, and criticizing what they can see. IMO how well it filters the oil is the important part, and the tests I've seen where they actually tested the filters say that Fram is pretty good. 40 years experience with them seems to indicate the same.
 
Wix makes NAPA fliters, so if you can buy them for less you get great quality in the bargain.
 
I have always used Fram filters, but I am kind of biased since I dated the Fram plant manager's daughter in the 70's

Jim
 
JImEgan said:
...I am kind of biased since I dated the Fram plant manager's daughter in the 70's...

That, my friend, is about the lamest reason for using a particular brand of auto part that I have ever heard.

That said -- I too have generally used Fram. For the spin-ons I have long used PH2870A painted green to look less shocking (than Fram orange) in the engine bay:

Oil%20Filters.JPG
 
Geo Hahn said:
JImEgan said:
...I am kind of biased since I dated the Fram plant manager's daughter in the 70's...

That, my friend, is about the lamest reason for using a particular brand of auto part that I have ever heard.

Oil%20Filters.JPG

Depends. Was she really hot? Did you get free filters? Need more info...
 
Back
Top