Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I had my cylinder head cleaned, and while it is off, I thought it would be a good idea to run a tap through the spark plug threads. Can someone tell me what size tap to use?
If you have a set of taps and dies;
find which die fits the threads on your plugs
and then use the matching tap for your plug holes.
I would suggest caution since the plug threads
have probably had plugs in and out a few hundred
times over the past 40 years. You don't want to
go removing more metal from the threads if you
can avoid it.
Just my 2 pence worth and I'm the tap/die everything
guy. I would leave well enough alone.
Kevin, Sears or almost any automotive supplier sells a special tap specifically for chasing spark plug threads. I strongly recommend using it rather than an ordinary hand tap, as it greatly reduces the chances of damaging your head. https://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3379.html
The threads are unusual anyway (specifically for spark plugs) and not usually found in sets. Metric, M14 x 1.25 as I recall (but don't quote me).
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.