• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A What size speedi-sleeve needed for pinion seal on a TR3?

Joel Lester

Country flag
Hey guys,
I've continuing my frame up restoration on my "58 TR3 and am replacing seals on the differential. There are signs that the pinion seal was leaking and I was hoping to use a speedi-sleeve to solve my leaky problem once and for all. The flange shaft doesn't seem to have a wear ridge or any pitting but since I have the whole differential out and sitting there... now is a good time to get it done. I live in Canada so shipping from Moss motors gouges me every time - I have a local NAPA parts supplier that has them - I just need to know what size to get for the pinion shaft. Anyone have the SKF part number?
Thanks a bunch!
Joel

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If the sealing surface looks undamaged but there is evidence of oil leakage it is most likely coming from the splines. I would just clean up the flange sealing surface with some emery tape and use some aviation gasket cement on the splines and the large flat washer and it should be good to go.

Graham

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Pinion repair sleeve is 99149 if you do go that route.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have limited experience with speedy sleeves. Some years back I tried one for the front seal and everything went fine until I tried getting the shaft back into the seal; it would not fit because the sleeve made the flange too large.

Perhaps if I would have gotten a larger seal with a bigger center hole things may have worked. after it did not work I instead cleaned the flange with very light emery cloth and put some JB into the small pits and used the emery cloth to smooth the shaft.

Anyways Napa is usually pretty good about helping, so I would suggest taking in the seal and flange and see if they can set you up.

Steve

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
Thanks again guys! I looked at the shaft again last night and I could feel the smallest wear groove where the old seal was. So I’m going to try and get the Speedi-sleeve 99149. I will also seal the flange surface too. No leaks is the goal!
Joel

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Our buddy Randall suggested that the seal and grove will probably not be in the same place the second time. kinda like stepping into a river in the same place twice. Also check that the PO did not put a scare in the case if the old seal was replaced. Those factory seal were leather and high quality and can really put up a fight coming out, so be very careful of the case. Perhaps put some of your favorite sealer around the outside of the seal when you knock it in.

steve

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
Took the seals out last night... and you are right. They were leather. Didn't have much trouble getting them out though. The proper tool was handy. A seal puller with a slide hammer. Worked like a charm. When examining the axles for groove wear - one side had a fairly nasty groove. Also, the new seals I got from Moss are thinner and I bet you are right in that they would wear in a different spot. However I still feel as though getting the speedi-sleeves in will be a nice insurance measure. Picking those up on the way home from work tonight :bananawave: