• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What Lurks Beneath the Bondo

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
WARNING: Graphic Rust photo follows!

I busted up the 1"+ layer of bondo on the L/H Rocker today and found a little more decay.

It's been like an archeological dig today... it looks like whoever painted the car red simply bondo'd over the existing rust. They must have realized the extent because at least they attempted to "weld" a 1" x 12" strip of metal to the rocker around the jack point area. It's virtually impossible to make out in the photo but it's there.

I knew it was bad but it just keeps exceeding my expectations (and not in a good way). I'm in this deep, though, so stay tuned if you're interested and have the stomach...

284761-IMG_0026Resized.jpg

Attachments

• 284761-IMG_0026Resized.jpg
    284761-IMG_0026Resized.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 72

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Be prepared to jig the whole chassis then, Mike. X, Y and Z. You're "in" now... may as well. BTDT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When it's over you'll have a lifetime MGB on your hands. An equitable trade, IMO.

OP
B

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
When it's over you'll have a lifetime MGB on your hands. An equitable trade, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so, Doc. I'm going to need plenty of encouragement (group and liquid) to get through this one. I'm determined to focus on nothing but the shell at this point. I don't need to get distracted with the engine, interior, fuel system, brakes, transmission, electricals, windshield, etc., ad infinitum...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Don't let this happen to you.

11-24-06-EndoftheMidget013.jpg

Stick with it. I want to see all the pics, every day if you have to. I feel the need to redo my other GT and we'll encourage each other through it. My GT is a bit worse than that though.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We should form the rusty GT club.

11-25-06-Rust002.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
sure.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
BAH!!! "Boldly go, where no man has gone before!!!"

DO it. Look at it as a "piece at a time" thing. You've already found the sin. Now it's just a matter of -one step at a time-!

I for one will be here with a cattle prod, if necessary. The chrome bumper B's are what God and Abingdon intended. You're saving HISTORY, laddie!!! Buck up and press on. There will be people who will KILL (~figuratively,~ we hope!) to own a good example of a Mk-I B... Consider it like an IRA...

When you need a walker to get to it, you MAY choose to sell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

What I thought I had and What I actually had:

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy Bloody H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am so sticking w/ frozen snot cars!

Edit: Hey....You have a Dr.E-Brake also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heheeee!!!! Gotta love "Dago Plastics"!!!