• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A What is best way to remove old nylon/rubber bush 525-020 from steering box shaft?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I am referring to the bushes that are at the "split" of the split column that hold the shaft in place. Actually this bush looks like it is steel/rubber so maybe an original one. Would it have to be driven out thru the box opening with a long pipe?? And much thanks to those who are responding to my questions.:encouragement:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That would do, or you can just use the steering shaft the same way. IIRC both the originals and the replacements I got from TRF were actually a 3 layer construction, with nylon on the inside, a thin steel shell and rubber on the outside. If you're not seeing the nylon, it may have worn out.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
That would do, or you can just use the steering shaft the same way. IIRC both the originals and the replacements I got from TRF were actually a 3 layer construction, with nylon on the inside, a thin steel shell and rubber on the outside. If you're not seeing the nylon, it may have worn out.

I got the old bush out with the steering shaft.I had an extremely difficult time trying to install the new bushing from Moss. It seems that the bushing inside diameter is much smaller than the shaft. Even though it was greased I was only able to get it on partway before it seized big time. Did you have any difficulty installing the TRF bushings? I tried to push the shaft thru the box and then thru the bush but it just pushed the bush out the other end not to mention knocking the inner bearing balls out because of having to apply so much force to the shaft.:censored: I might try the TRF bushings as they might be from a better supplier? I'm probably going to have to cut that piece of crap bushing off the shaft with a dremel.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, went together easy for me. But that was a long time ago (my current TR3 has the earlier solid column), so YMMV.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
beaulieu best tool to remove old bondo ? Restoration & Tools 14
L Best Polish to remove surface scratches Austin Healey 12
C TR4/4A Best way to remove transmission fill port? Triumph 8
bighealeysource Best way to remove dried polishing compound Austin Healey 10
J TR2/3/3A What is the best way to remove and replace carb shaft bushings. Triumph 4
MG Lily Best way to safely remove minor surface rust? Restoration & Tools 5
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Restoration & Tools 2
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Austin Healey 1
G Best way to remove accelerator bar part # 106762 Triumph 3
1 Best way to remove this snapped head exhaust stud? MG 13
bighealeysource Best way to remove aluminum smudge from shut face Austin Healey 1
I What is the best way to remove chrome? Spridgets 7
T How best to remove these a-arm bushings again? Triumph 5
I What is the best way to remove carbon? Triumph 23
T Best way to remove dents? Jaguar 4
C Best way to remove seam sealer? Triumph 5
A Wedge Best way to remove '80 TR7 starter? Triumph 3
78Z Best way to remove paint from aluminum rim? Restoration & Tools 7
mctriumph TR2/3/3A the best kinda folks Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A What is the best way to prevent the crank from turning ........ Triumph 27
tr6nitjulius For Sale "SOLD" Winter projects: Upgrades 4Sale or Reasonable Best Offer Triumph Classifieds 0
AngliaGT MGB-GT The Best Laid Plans....... MG 3
69MGC T-Series Best Technique to Clean a Canvas Top MG 3
Michael Oritt Best Seat Trim Adhesive Austin Healey 8
J Best Aluminum Fenders? Austin Healey 3
1 TR2/3/3A Best Rustproofing for inside of body. Triumph 7
G Best fuel option for a 72 Midget Spridgets 5
Celtic 77 MGB Looking for best info regarding throttle cable replacement. MG 16
JPSmit some days your best tool is a credit card Spridgets 2
dripdripdrip TR2/3/3A Best place for tonneau & hood stick covers? Triumph 2
D The best place to get shocks rebuilt. Spridgets 8
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Advice for which head gasket material is best Triumph 8
BoyRacer Best-Sounding Muffler - Stainless Steel or Mild Steel? Austin Healey 9
W Best source for Bugeye front shocks Spridgets 3
J For Sale For Sale - 2x TR6 seats in red vinyl - Best Offer! Triumph Classifieds 1
Bob Claffie Best cruise in of the year Spotted 8
longbridgehealey Best way in Austin Healey 2
B TR4/4A What really is the best clutch/bearing combo Triumph 4
I Best glue for rubber door panels? Spridgets 3
N Best cam choice??? Spridgets 5
R TR2/3/3A Best day ever [so far] Triumph 1
C How best to restore red script on valve cover? Austin Healey 7
F Best $25 I've ever spent on my Healey - 2019 Austin Healey Concours Guidelines Austin Healey 0
FlyingCat Spitfire Which carburetor is the best? Triumph 9
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
D Best little tube bender Restoration & Tools 8
N Best lube for a Datsun gearbox?? Spridgets 6
Kleykamp For Sale 1978 MG Midget Best Offer Spridgets Classified 0
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A Electrical Wiring Best Practices Triumph 13
I General TR Best car cover Triumph 8