• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What food does your Mama make better than anyone?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I’m with Bayless: nothing tastes as good as mom’s cooking. (Mine or yours.) To me, the familiarity is as important as the taste.

And I’m in agreement with Dr. Entropy, the “simple” foods are the best. Potatoes, stews, dough. Hard to go wrong!! (I will disagree on the collard greens, though...)

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gramps was Italian and a Navy cook SC1C in WWII(not sure what boat) Taught my mom to cook and a darn good one at that. Agree with Doc, anything Italian especially meatballs and lasagna. I'll go to her house and there's always a ziploc bag of cold meatballs in the fridge or freezer waiting for noshing. (now I'm getting hungry) She also makes a killer rice pudding.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
so apparently Basil's mom's specialty was Soylent Green......

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not sure where my mother learned to cook. Being the youngest of 6 girls she may have got some cooking experience at home but they lived in a 2 up 2 down house in London that most would consider too small to be a closet.
Growing up I remember typical British food and her disappointment when her Yorkshire Puddings did nor rise like they should. For a number of years she cooked on a solid fuel Rayburn stove that burnt turf/peat. We lived in Ireland at the time.
Her Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings were works of art as far as I remember. Fruit cake with Almond paste and Royal icing. She also made Marmalade and preserved the garden produce.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I’m with Bayless: nothing tastes as good as mom’s cooking. (Mine or yours.) To me, the familiarity is as important as the taste.

And I’m in agreement with Dr. Entropy, the “simple” foods are the best. Potatoes, stews, dough. Hard to go wrong!! (I will disagree on the collard greens, though...)
Well I did include the "omnivore" disclaimer! Try cooking ANY edible greens in a pan with olive oil and garlic. Spinach, collard greens, kale, chard... all are really tasty as side dishes IMHO. Again: "peasant food".

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Well I did include the "omnivore" disclaimer! Try cooking ANY edible greens in a pan with olive oil and garlic. Spinach, collard greens, kale, chard... all are really tasty as side dishes IMHO. Again: "peasant food".
"Our only hope is in the Proles."