• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What do you use instead of tie wraps?

Swiss Toni

Country flag
I was wonder what people use instead of tie wraps to give things a more period look?

I've used some small ones in the engine bay for routing some wiring but it does look quite right.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was wonder what people use instead of tie wraps to give things a more period look?

Lacing cord can be used it comes in white or black color.

Cable_lacing_close-up.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful

Nice job. I actually have some black aircraft-quality waxed lacing from my old days in the avionics business. Unfortunately I never learned to apply it very neatly (back then we had an entire staff of amazing Asian women who could assemble, mil-spec solder, lace, and pretty much clean up any abomination that the engineers cobbled together) After seeing your installation, I might have to give it a try.

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
I was afraid someone was going to suggest lacing cord. I've also really bad at it when I was working on aircraft and as well made a mess of it most times. I was so happy when tie wraps became more commonly used.

I've already wrap the wires with cloth electrical tape as mentioned by someone and it looks MUCH better than bright red, blue and orange wires.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree, nice job. What looks also very nice if applied properly, is the flat lacing cord that is mentioned above for aircraft wiring harnesses. It is a polyester cord and comes in two types (and black or white). One is a "dry" cord and feels dry to the touch and is difficult to make neat bundles with. The other is a waxed cord and feels waxy to the touch and sticks to itself and perhaps the wire bundle just enough to make it way easier to tie off. Normally it is not applied with a continuous strand, but just individual knots with the ends snipped. With the waxed cord you can start off with a "double half-hitch" pull it tight and it will stay until you tie it off with a square knot or overhand "granny knot". It is also the same as rib stitching cord that is used to attach fabric aircraft covering to the ribs of a wing. Rib stitch cord also comes in round or flat braid but almost nobody uses the round cord because it shows too much under the fabric tapes applied over it on aircraft. A spool is not that expensive and will last you lifetime if you are not stitching aircraft wings but just tieing off wire harnesses on your hobby cars.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This looks just the thing:

BW-50 1/2 Braided Fabric Heat Shrink Wire Covering - 10 FT

BW-Shrink2-Md.jpg
The new Ron Francis braided fabric heat shrink wire cover looks and feels like cloth but is actually a unique heat shrink. Can make for a clean wiring covering for engine compartments or anywhere wiring is exposed or a tight bundle is needed. Can be carefully cut for wires to exit in various locations. Reduces to 1/4 inch. Available in 3 sizes and is sold in 10' and 50' lengths. UV resistant. Cuts easily and is rated at approximately 260 degrees (F). Sold in Black only.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BW-50