• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well now...

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A few years ago, while driving the Elan, sitting in the right lane of a four-lane street at a red light, saw a pick-up coming up fast from behind. Woman driver looking down at something, not paying attention. I launched the Elan into a hard right onto the walkway of the sidewalk and avoided the impact. The woman had locked up the brakes too late and was sitting where the Lotus HAD been. Red faced and "Sorry!Sorry! Sorry!" I flipped her off and barked some profane words at her. Only been hit once from the rear, a Caddy smacked into the Elan after running a stop sign, back in '76. Learned about watchin' yer six and a valuable lesson from that. So did that Caddy driver: Lotus parts are di$proportionately valued when compared in relationship to the size of the car... :devilish:

My honest opinion was he was late for a tryst at the Holiday Inn a block away. An "Afternoon Delight" kinda tryst.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I was at an intersection in my Spitfire (freshly painted) when a girl in a big Silverado Pickup truck đź›» rear-ended my as I was stopped at a stop signđź”´. I had the top down, so I heard the truck approaching and saw that she was staring at her phone! BANG! She was "so sorry" - said she didn't see me. Well Duh!!
I had nearly forgotten that. I was still driving my old 1500 Spitfire back then.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The rear ending thing is about my biggest worry in the sprite. I'm seriously thinking about putting a third brake light into the top of the roll bar for that very reason

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm still mad I gave up my last rotary dial phone.
Need to borrow mine?

David
Dial phone.jpg

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Awww, man. I'm jealous.

Do you use it? I wasn't even sure if our local system would take them anymore. But I found an old push-button pulse dialer and plugged it in. Sure enough, still works.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It would probable not work as it is a UK phone. Uses electricity on the Left hand side of the wire.

Place I worked at in the UK developed the automatic machines that assembled those phone dial assemblies.
David

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Western Electric Model 501/505 are what I remember. Pulse-dial. Not sure if the systems today still respond to pulses. The pushbutton variants use tone dialing and likely will still function as intended.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Why is it I still remember my childhood number and my father's old work number, but I don't know my current home number?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Why is it I still remember my childhood number and my father's old work number, but I don't know my current home number?
I remember our first home phone when I was a kid (252-2552) up till about 6th grade when we moved to Germany, and I remember my current phone number, but don't remember any in between.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Lived in too many places to remember childhood phone #. We do have some old hangers, though. Upton Bros. Cleaning & Dyeing Wks., Phone: RC 230.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oldest phone number I remember was when we moved back to OKC, 4th grade for me. It was 8-3091 and it was a party line for the first several months.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
962-7674 :rolleyes:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Original phone number - just 30532.
Once amazed an older lawyer by reciting his phone number, long forgotten by him - 71562. Old Greenwich, CT.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JE (Jerome) 75834
The apartment in the Bronx where I spent the first 10 years of my life. Still remember the address and phone number

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My first phone # started with GA ( Gladstone ) then a four digit number and a party line. We were one of the first houses with a Black & White TV also, and the Doctor made house calls. ( Sacramento Ca. ) How old do you feel now. We also keep a pushbutton phone if power goes out because our house phones are cordless. Madflyer

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
867-53 Oh Niyeine…...
Had a roatry on our kitchen wall as a kid. I still remember the number, and my cousins number I used to call all the time, and my grandfather's number I would call every Friday in nice weather to see if my cousin and I could come up camping on his farm. It was always a yes. I also remember the lengthwise folded piece of notebook paper with everyone's numbers, hand written, tacked to the bulletin board on the wall next to the phone.
Our neighbor came over to use our phone once while he was having some work done at his house. he had a bugger of a time dialing our rotary. It made me laugh.
As for aux lights, I plan to add LEDs in the tails on the VW bus. A 3rd light would be an excellent idea. maybe even one that strobes when it comes on like many motorcycles.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Well now, that was fun. I started a reply, put my own "Memory Lane" ideas down, added three photos, clicked Post Reply, and page said I wasn't logged in.

mumble grumble ....

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Kinda like a old home/cellphone thread.

Similar to Doc, Sept 2019 I had driven my bugeye twie
A few years ago, while driving the Elan, sitting in the right lane of a four-lane street at a red light, saw a pick-up coming up fast from behind. Woman driver looking down at something, not paying attention. I launched the Elan into a hard right onto the walkway of the sidewalk and avoided the impact. The woman had locked up the brakes too late and was sitting where the Lotus HAD been. Red faced and "Sorry!Sorry! Sorry!" I flipped her off and barked some profane words at her. Only been hit once from the rear, a Caddy smacked into the Elan after running a stop sign, back in '76. Learned about watchin' yer six and a valuable lesson from that. So did that Caddy driver: Lotus parts are di$proportionately valued when compared in relationship to the size of the car... :devilish:

My honest opinion was he was late for a tryst at the Holiday Inn a block away. An "Afternoon Delight" kinda tryst.

Similar to Doc, Sept 2019 I had driven my bugeye twice and early Sunday morn I was headed to a local carshow. There was a Jeep behind me most of the way. I kept check in him in the rearview and always left some room in front of me "in case". We'll 2 blocks from the event, he caught me off guard!! RRRRR. I was so po'd. 25yo kid on his phone and not a drop of damage to his massive bumper!. "

Dude, I'm driving a bright yellow friggin car wearing a bright orange shirt! how can you say you did not see me?!"

Attachments

• Accident.jpg
    Accident.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 23

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Speaking of phones, Here's a story. When my wife's grand parents moved into this house around 1963, Ma Bell had this great deal. You could rent the phone for something like $2 a month instead of having to buy the latest and greatest. We bought the house from Grandma roughly 40 years later and the phone was still here. When my wife got to looking over the bills, hoo boy! do the math.
I have it hanging in the garage as wall art.

Attachments

• House Phone.jpg
    House Phone.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 27
  • House Phone 2.jpg
    House Phone 2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 20
Country flag
I had a young couple bump into me a few years ago. I was stopped in traffic waiting in a light and I heard this brake squealing coming up behind me. Looked back just in time to feel the thump and they hit the bumper. I pulled into the parking lot just off my right side and got out, they pulled in that they young guy driving actually sent his girlfriend out. Fortunately my then daily driver was several years old and they only put a small dent in the rear bumper. She was saying how sorry they were and I noted that I could hear them as they came up behind and that I thought they needed to have the brakes on their car fixed. Her response was that there just wasn't enough money to do thing like that, when there were so many great concerts to go to. I said they should keep that in thought in mind when they hit someone hard enough to injure or maybe even kill someone. That flipped her switch and she stood there cussing me out about knowing nothing and having the gall to question their spending priorities. Just threw up my hands and walked away...