• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well I guess I lost that bet.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This week Mrs JP was doing the banking and discovered $918 had been taken from our account.

A flurry of calls to the bank later and the money is returned - phew.

Then the question arises - is this fraud or ??? So, I call the company that 'took' the money, 'Sir, it seems that you have an account with us.'

Turns out it was our life insurance company - three name changes later. We had a 20 year term policy which they automatically renewed without telling us.

Here's the kicker, premiums went from $80 per month to $918 per month. :mad: I don't think so. So cancelled the policy.

Of course it also means I lost the bet - I didn't die! :rolleyes: dang :grin:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would call that a “Win, Win”. You got your money back AND you get to spend it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's a scary deal. Also why I don't pay anything by "automatic draft" or whatever they call it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think Term policies often work that way.

I had a term policy and it had a similar price increase after the term expired if I wanted to extend the policy. I canceled it as it when I got the letter with my new rates.

David

Country flag
I don’t do auto payment for anything either. I want to control the when and how much for bills. And being in the IT business I’m not convinced that things are as hack proof as they should be, too many stories still about companies losing data. I also don’t save payment information in sites I use to buy hobby and birthday and other things like that. Cuts the chance of a business losing it and I don’t mind an extra couple minutes filling it in again. I'm a dinosaur in that respect I guess...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
They renewed at more than 10x the price without asking? How is that even legal?

Pulled out the policy and it is all there to the dollar what they would automatically renew at so, yes legal. Would have been nice if they had let us know though.