• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Welcome to the Future.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used to have a winter tire set up n my wife's GT6 daily to work driver. Get up early, if snow or ice, put on winters, come home if dry put on regular tires. Did that for 10 yrs, chains if needed. Now, I have all-weather on everything,except my 03 Cooper S has performance tires regularly and a rain tire if needed at the track. Don't have to change that often. My Rover has 4X4 mud and snows for hear round use. Only rotate. Just depends on what you want to do. All the car magazines will tell you, if you want to drive regularly, get all weather tires. As here in St. Louis our SCCA group get performance tires on the Vettes for road trips and what not and tra k tires and rims for play. Expensive yes, but our cars are not made to be idle.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used to have a winter tire set up n my wife's GT6 daily to work driver. Get up early, if snow or ice, put on winters, come home if dry put on regular tires. Did that for 10 yrs, chains if needed. Now, I have all-weather on everything,except my 03 Cooper S has performance tires regularly and a rain tire if needed at the track. Don't have to change that often. My Rover has 4X4 mud and snows for hear round use. Only rotate. Just depends on what you want to do. All the car magazines will tell you, if you want to drive regularly, get all weather tires. As here in St. Louis our SCCA group get performance tires on the Vettes for road trips and what not and track tires and rims for play. Expensive yes, but our cars are not made to be idle.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
“Who you gonna believe”

Data. Numbers.

Obviously the challenge comes when two sets of data show differing results. Red meat is bad. Red meat is good. Margarine / Butter. Etc. But that is the beauty of science: it is constantly questioning itself.

Am I good enough to tell the difference between all season and summer-only tires? Am I wasting my time changing wheels? Possibly. My butt thinks it can tell (opinion - not backed up by data:smile:)!

Plus I don’t worry about brake dust buildup in the cold winter months. Vanity; definitely not data-driven!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Larry, that is dedication, changing wheels on a daily basis! I’m impressed! (I only change at turkey and tax time.)

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Same here Mike, I go to winter tires on my RWD daily, they went on last weekend and will stay on until March or so.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When I was making regular weekend trips from Hampton, VA to Pittsburgh and back in a '66 MGB, I had Semperit tires on it. Winter or summer. They weathered snow and ice quite well. Kept a set of chains aboard as a "just in case" but never really needed those. Even through some blizzard conditions.

Mike P. said:
In the Alpine, if it was below freezing outside, it might be above inside when I was using it year round in my college days. One unrelated to heating story, back in January 78 we had a blizzard in Ohio and the car was parked outside. After it ended I opened the hood and the engine compartment was packed full of snow that had blown up inside. Molded to the inside framing of the hood. Took a weekend with heat to get everything thawed out so it would run...

That was the winter that convinced us it was time to pack up and get th' heck outta western PA. And for me to change jobs from a 10 mile commute as an NDT tubing inspector, to a two-blocks-away walk as a Porsche-Audi, Alfa/Lotus tech. Took another couple years to accomplish as we diligently built up a Florida escape fund. :cool-new:

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Do the vetted road trip in December and March w the perf Tires?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Honda has 4 snow tires. Subaru has all-weather tires. Alfa and Tr6? Fuhgettaboutit. They can barely get up the driveway.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since I don’t track my Vette, I haven’t ever seen a reason for more than one set of tires at a time. And I want to drive it into early north east winters and get it out again very early in the spring such as March. I even at times will use it during
Jan thru march. So these summer only high performance tires are a nuisance to me. And like I said, it is a lot of money to have two sets for a car like the Vette. GM recommends not to use the tires below 50*. And Michelin recommends not to use the tires below 40*. Both companies say definitely don’t use them below 20*. The reason is not fear of poor traction but the fact that the tires will be damaged. They become so hard that they will crack. So I don’t see any reason that a manufacturer should supply a car that is primarily intended for road use with tires such as these. In half the country they can 6 mos. out of the year.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You just need a winter car and a summer car then you are good to go.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They were Verdsteins Very soft winter from the 70s, to save them, had to be changed as they could be wore out in 100 miles on hard dry pavement. Jacks and air make it easy. 13" tires were not heavy like my Rover 19".

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
You just need a winter car and a summer car then you are good to go.
I have a car for almost every day of the week and I can drive them any day of the year. Except now this new Corvette. I guess I’ll just have to move to Florida. �� ( austin Healey, mgb, ‘70 Vette, ‘19 Vette.)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I have a car for almost every day of the week and I can drive them any day of the year. Except now this new Corvette. I guess I’ll just have to move to Florida. �� ( austin Healey, mgb, ‘70 Vette, ‘19 Vette.)

C'mon down, D!! Weather's fine. :wink:

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
As a matter of fact I am down here. I’m at Disney with family and grand kids. Flew down last sat & going back this sat. It’s hit the teens in pa right after we left. This place could spoil me. I think we’re going to drive the new Vette to Key West in April or May. Never seen that place yet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We're a bit chilly too early for my liking, but it sure beats 15°!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As a matter of fact I am down here. I’m at Disney with family and grand kids. Flew down last sat & going back this sat. It’s hit the teens in pa right after we left. This place could spoil me. I think we’re going to drive the new Vette to Key West in April or May. Never seen that place yet.

us too! except no kids. sadly we leave tomorrow. are you onsite?

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
We’re so wet we decided we might as well go down splash mountain.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
We're a bit chilly too early for my liking, but it sure beats 15°!!
At least u can can drive ur high performance summer only tires. Mine are tucked away till probably April up in PA.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
We’re so wet we decided we might as well go down splash mountain.

:thumbsup: we decided not to go into the parks today

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
We tried to stick it out for the big Christmas party tonight but the rains kept coming so we headed back to the barn about 9:00p. The kids did get to see a lot of the characters. Heading to Epcot tomorrow. Then home on Saturday. Hope you had a great vacation.