• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Wedge radio mounting

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone have any pictures, diagrams or a description on how the factory mounted the radio? I received a RetroSound unit to install in my TR8 for Father's Day. The previous radio was a DIN-mount that was just shoved into the hole, and stuck out a couple to inches. I have some ideas on how to get it mounted, but I certainly welcome ideas from others that have already sorted it out!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No help from me ,Darrell. I had a radio shop do mine and it stuck out.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just had a battle with that yesterday. a standard radio fits, but getting all of the wires out of the way is a huge challenge. It can be done. All of the tr7s I have seen have an aftermarket units in them. There is an original on ebay right now. Mounting looks the same as aftermarkets.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
George_H said:
Just had a battle with that yesterday. a standard radio fits, but getting all of the wires out of the way is a huge challenge. It can be done. All of the tr7s I have seen have an aftermarket units in them. There is an original on ebay right now. Mounting looks the same as aftermarkets.

Hi George,

The RetroSound is quite small (and very flexible with the mounting). I was just wondering how they mounted a shaft-mount unit in the opening, which doesn't seem to have any provision for that.

I'm tempted with that unit on eBay just to get the Triumph faceplate!

-Darrell

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not if I beat you to it and hold it ransom!

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The radio has 2 brackets on the shafts that fit between the opening and the faceplate. I would take a picture,but I'm NOT taking that thing out again.(ever!)

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
George_H said:
The radio has 2 brackets on the shafts that fit between the opening and the faceplate. I would take a picture,but I'm NOT taking that thing out again.(ever!)

I don't blame you!

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Any idea what these wires/connector would be for? The red/white wire is used for the dash illumination, but not sure what this would be for. Also, does anyone know where the white/purple wire for controlling the power antenna might come out? I have the connector in the boot, but I need to find the other end to connect to the radio.

Attachments

• 25586.jpg
    25586.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 138

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mine was on the pass. side of that area. you want a pic?
R/W ,for sure a light deal

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
Mine was on the pass. side of that area. you want a pic?

Sure! I need to dig out and sort out the wires down that side still, hopefully it will be there.

DNK said:
R/W ,for sure a light deal

That's what I thought, just can't figure out what it might be for. At first I thought perhaps for the FHC rear window defroster, but that is the opposite pattern. I also thought maybe for the radio illumination, but the wiring diagram doesn't show that.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
BTW, found the power antenna lead, right where Don said. It was taped up with some other wires. Makes me happy that I don't have to worry about running my own wire!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darrell, great, now I don't have to put my shoes on and go down and contort myself in the passenger well and take a pic.
Should anyway. For some reason,mine quit going up when the radio comes on.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
Darrell, great, now I don't have to put my shoes on and go down and contort myself in the passenger well and take a pic.
Should anyway. For some reason,mine quit going up when the radio comes on.

I even hooked it up and verified that it works. Also found the fuse I fried when I put the battery in backward, and the old radio stopped working. Now maybe I can sell it for a few $$$, it is a decent Alpine unit. I had checked that fuse before but it looked fine.

Now I just need to work out how I'm mounting the new radio. I have one pretty good idea, if I decide that I can reinstall the center console with the radio already mounted. I'm thinking of glueing a universal face plate inside of the cutout. As long as I can make all of the connections before the console is all the way in, and if the radio won't interfere with putting the console back, it should work (and look) pretty good.

Also resisting the urge to replace the carpet, at least the section under the console, because I know where that would quickly lead :smile:

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The only way I could get it in was to mount the radio to the console first. Then hook up the wiring then fight it like a dog. Be careful of the angle that the radio is in when mounted. if its not right, it will not fit.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
George_H said:
The only way I could get it in was to mount the radio to the console first. Then hook up the wiring then fight it like a dog. Be careful of the angle that the radio is in when mounted. if its not right, it will not fit.

Thanks, George!

I'm going to do a lot of test fitting before I commit anything for good. Luckily the RetroSound is quite small, and I could even remove the face from the body and remount at an angle, if I needed to.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
With my DIN radio I installed the center console with all the wires hanging out the radio opening. The bulk of my wires & antenna were on the R/H side so I left the console mounting screw on the passenger side off.

As I worked the radio in I pulled the console side out and could reach in and help the wires & antenna along. Once the radio was in I cleaned up the wire loom and screwed the console side panel down.

Patience was a key here. In my younger days I would have just jammed it in and turned it on :smile: