• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber tuning breakthrough

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I just wanted to post up some information for those who are running a Weber carb. After many years of development a totally new approach to tuning has been released. I had all the typical troubles of too rich mid range, off idle stumble and WOT leaning that nothing could fix. I could eliminate one of the problems, but never all of them until I started following this Yahoo group:

https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sidedraft_central/messages?o=1

I installed the new type idle jets and adjustable holders and was able to tune both the idle at 1000 rpm and the transition to the main circuit perfectly. These idle jets have 4 different settings that allow you to set the mixture from leaner at 1000 and richer at 1/3 throttle where you transition to the main circuit to richer at 1000 and leaner at 1/3 throttle, with 2 more intermediate settings. I have an AFR on my car and am able to see the improvement in the mixture on the gauge, to say nothing of the way the car drives.

After having such success with the idle jets, I volunteered to be a guinea pig to test new style emulsion tubes and air correctors. I still have more testing to do, but so far the improvement is astounding. With the best dyno tuned setup, my AFRs were starting at 10.2 at 1/2 throttle and ending up at 14.5 at WOT. Typical Weber leaning behavior. Now I start at 11.9 to 12.2 and end up at 13.3, I went from a 150 weber main jet that gave a 14.5 WOT mixture to a 125 main jet that gives a 13.3 WOT mixture. The exhaust sounds crisper and there is no midrange fuel stink like nearly every other Weber I have been around. No matter what gear or what RPM, I can slam the throttle and is just lunges ahead, or I can gently feather it and it glides forward. Just like a modern EFI system. The idle is smooth and steady at 900 to 1000 with no lumpiness at all.

On the road the car feels like it has EFI, it pulls strongly and smoothly from below 2000 at WOT all the way up to redline and this with .286 lift scatter pattern cam with 1.5 roller rockers. At mid throttle cruise my mixture is in the mid to high 14's under light load in 5th gear. It has no flats pots or hiccoughs any where in the rev range or throttle travel under any conditions. My only complaints are that I would like to get the mixtures a point leaner and I have a set of 120 and 115 jets coming to try that, and a bit flatter and we are working on another version of the emulsion tube for that issue.

I do not expect anyone to believe me alone and would just ask that those with an interest go to the Yahoo sidedraftcentral group and read a few posts about the development process and some of the posts by other users. This is not just another jet recipe, the parts look radically different from the stock ones. Pictures are on the web store page. I have no financial interest, I'm testing this on the A-series, but I have to pay full price, just like anyone else. I am doing this simply to get a carb that works as well as my 2010 model car does.

G

I asked that guy a sensible intelligent question and he dismissed me like a school kid.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
But does that affect the functionality of the stuff? Can a jerk make good parts, in other words? I have talked to Keith on the phone a few times and he does tend to talk well over my head, but I have dealt with brainiacs like him before and am willing to put up with some personal problems in exchange for good results.
My cyl. Head guy is a not the sweetest person in the world, the local Westfield guru is a complete a$$hole, and my trans rebuilder made me want to punch his lights out. But they all know what they are talking about within their area of expertise and by dealing with them I got the best workmanship available.
BTW, my dentist is the rudest man I think I have ever met, but he is also an internationally known expert, with many peer reviewed articles and a reputation for meticulous detail. I am not planning on going on a vacation with him, I just sit in his chair a couple of hours a year.......

G

Right, but when you ask him an intelligent question about his product and what he would recommend and you get blown off....well, that makes it impossible to buy from him.

I don't respond too well to fabulous people. Folks like that bring out the worst in me rather quickly. Just because he know's his [censored] doesn't mean I have to put up with any of it.

I'd rather buy the wrong stuff from a friendly helpful person, but that's just me. I live in a world of my own choosing. You're either nice or you're gone. No soup for you....NEXT!

Glad to hear your car is running better.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I certainly understand your feelings, but my take is that some people live in a world of their own. Either you take them as they are or as far as they care you're outta there, No soup for you! If you want their soup you gotta deal with them on their own terms. In a way some of these guys are the American Individualist writ large: what you see is what you get, no icing on the cake, and spit in your eye if you don't like it. The flip side of that is that nobody has to do business with them if they don't want to and we can just spit in THEIR eye right back.

Well- I will never know ....i am not jumpin thru the hoops to sign in to that site.

m

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
SilentUnicorn said:
Well- I will never know ....i am not jumpin thru the hoops to sign in to that site.

m

Ditto

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I have been a Yahoo member for so long I had forgotten all about the signup process. Here is a link to the store, but not much information there. It does give you a look at how strange the idle jets look, same with the air corrector jets.

https://www.webstore.com/82598,owner_id,other_items

All this about personalities and signup are just side issues, what matters is that all who have tried this stuff are liking it. It seems that a lot of what people assume are just normal characteristics of Webers can be eliminated. But as I said before, NFI and by bringing the subject up I feel I have done my part for the Spridget community. I am happy with the improvement and just wanted to share, not promote, defend or justify. Heck, I am not even qualified to explain exactly how or why it works.... All I can do is honestly relate my own experience, which I have done and leave it at that which I will now do.

G

DWeeB said:
SilentUnicorn said:

m

Ditto

What?!? You guys don't want to hang out with fabuloids? :laugh:

Westy I hear ya. We do appreciate it. It's such a shame ol' boy couldn't be more professional. Apparently he's bad enough that a memeber contacted me via email apologizing for him.

I just don't deal with folks like that....no matter how much they have or know. Once you don;t put up w/ their crap you take the power away from them. I know he doesn't care if I staty or go....but it certainly isn't helping him now is it!

Like I said, no soup for him! He can eat his fabulous soup all by himself for all I care.

Me, I'll share my Cambell's Chicken Noodle with me pals.

Better is a little with love than... :wink:

Hey guys, wanna come over fer dinner? Please bring your own crackers :laugh:

Thanks though Westy, glad to see it work out for you. :thumbsup:

Chit - i had a yahoo account before some of you were even born- been there done that- and retired from it.

The product sounds great and if it works it will be a big hit and it will sell. And i will hear about it.

m

Will those work on a downdraft?

m

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
Anyone know if this works with a downdraft weber carb, or if there is a similar type setup for downdraft weber carbs?

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I do not think that the designer has applied his theories to the downdraft carb yet. He has a Lotus Twincam with 40 DCOE's that he has used to develop his ideas and parts. I will see if he has any intent to make downdraft parts in the future.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Here is Keith Franck's response to the DGV question:

https://www.thelolaregistry.com/DIY/Weber.htm
Here's the workaround the racers use because the e-tubes are passing too many air bubbles. It's a crude throwback solution to the all the problems of a simple jet. I don't know if I can help unless I'm given it a shot. Someone would have to lend me their car for like a month so I can work through the issues. It's the idlejets that look to be the real difficulty to figure out how to stuff the hypodermic tubing into them.
-Keith

BTW, I did a fuel economy test today after a drive in the Malibu Hills. I did a bunch of WOT testing, drove hard up and down the mountain roads drifting around corners as much as possible and finished up by running about 10 miles home rat racing with a Carerra 2 Cabriolet in the 60 to 85 mph range. I stopped at the same pump I filled up at on the way out and set the nozzle to the same middle auto stop and filled until the first click. After 57.9 miles I used 1.44 gallons for 40.2 MPG. This is at least 6 mpg better than my previous SU best which was mostly Highway miles during a tour in line with a bunch of other LBC's.