• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber DCOE question

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting the bugeye a Weber 45 DCOE setup. Online I found a great price, but I want to make sure its a good setup and not some shady deal. The price is definately right.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...0756546886&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also, any negatives to this setup? I have the DGV now, and after talking to some people, they aren't the best for tuning. Right now it has an off idle flat spot that I hear is common for those. It drives me nuts.

Country flag
I'd just get an SU setup. Cheaper and easier to "tune". IMO

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The flat spot means it's not jetted right for you engine. I had the same problem on the '72. I went down one size from the jets I had and the problem was cured. Going back to SU's is a good solution too, but he Weber will work fine with the right jets. You will have to go through the same jet issues with the DCOE, but they are much more complex with the multiple jets and possible choke sizes. Generally speaking, the 45 is too much carb for a stock 1275.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gerard said:
Going back to SU's is a good solution too, but he Weber will work fine with the right jets. You will have to go through the same jet issues with the DCOE, but they are much more complex with the multiple jets and possible choke sizes. Generally speaking, the 45 is too much carb for a stock 1275.

Beat me to it... SU's are bulletproof. Set 'em up and go. The "two-barrel" DGV can be made to work with jet changes, plug cuts, EGA and fiddling. The 45 DCOE is huge overkill for your engine, but can be jetted to work... but the various jets, tubes and venturi are all interdependent and the possibilities are a maze of confusion to the uninitiated. What you spend on acquiring the DCOE is just the beginning of a steep learning curve and the bits to dial it in ain't cheap.

My personal advice is you should concentrate on the "bird-in-hand" and get the DGV sorted.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Perhaps. I think part of it is that they look cool and I want a new toy :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, there's always that.

Just heed the warnings. You will spend time and money to learn the intricacies of the Weber DCOE. LOTS of BOTH.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm not sure why I bother posting where Gerard has already done so. If you are racing, have unlimited access to Weber jets and air bleeds, and all the time in the world, go with the Weber ... otherwise go with the SUs. That's not to say there's anything cooler looking than a Weber DCOE ... just that the SU's will be easier to tune.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Geez, Rick, seems like you've "been there before"!!! :wink:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
grin.gif
... well, been through the DGV frustration with my '72 MG Midget, though I've put a number of them on Datsun conversions with great results.

After getting the 1275 back in my Morris pickup, I attempted to put a 40DCOE on it. I had a bag full of different jets and emulsion tubes and some good advice from a number of people experienced in dialing in side-draft Webers. I was sure I started off with the right jets, emulsion tubes and choke size. Still, the engine would not even fire up. It would only backfire and spit. I began to wonder if I'd messed up the timing or wired something wrong. Without doing anything else, I thought I'd put the SU's back on and make sure it ran properly. It fired up immediately and ran perfectly. The SU's remain... :cooler:

I'll go back to my corner now... :jester:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh... Discretion is the better part of valor! :thumbsup:

Not a thing wrong with SU's.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well a pair of SUs looks pretty cool too IMHO.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Aww, c'mon you guys. <span style="font-style: italic">You know you want to...
</span>
Midget1275DualWeber.jpg

:banana:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I have 40-DCOE's on all the cars but ONE... and if I could figger out how to use 'em on Diesela, she'd have 'em as well. :laugh: :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
yup. That's why there's only one on the MGB. these engines (stock or slightly modded for street) have hardly the volumetric efficiency to deal with THAT. :wink:

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
DrEntropy said:
I have 40-DCOE's on all the cars but ONE... and if I could figger out how to use 'em on Diesela, she'd have 'em as well. :laugh: :wink:

I hear you. I sure do like a DCOE, once it's sorted.

I did have a twin Solex setup on my Datsun 2000; lovely, sounded great, but unnecessary for sure.

And for fun I ran an IDA on one of my Minis, although the mods required really were not worth it. Ran good, though.

But to be honest, nowadays on the 1275 all I ever run anymore is a single HIF6, Ă  la Vizard.

...I guess I'm getting lazy as the years drift by. :yesnod:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Bill don't want to hijack this thread by why are solex's unnecessary?

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
JPSmit said:
Bill don't want to hijack this thread by why are solex's unnecessary?

Well, all my cars have been daily drivers, to include that Datsun. It had the twin Hitachi SU setup, which (once I got it sorted) ran very well.

I came across a dual Solex setup on a wrecked car, and naturally just had to have it. So I went for it.

And as I said, that setup was lovely to look at, sounded awesome, and ran great. But was it necessary? Well, no, not really. Not on a daily driver. <span style="font-style: italic">But I sure loved 'em.</span>

Now, so that our little thread hijack isn't <span style="font-style: italic">too</span> far out of line: BUGEDD, I recommend you pick up a copy of "Tuning The A-Series Engine" by David Vizard:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Engine-Definitive-Performance-Economy/dp/1859606202

A really good resource, and it'll help you make an informed decision as to what overall direction you might want to proceed when it comes to those birthday present purchases.

:yesnod: