• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weather and Transportation - alternate thinking?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Weather and Transportation - alternate thinkin

AngliaGT said:
I thought "this is what it's all about".
So true, Doug. I can picture them, too (though I've never met them), with big grins.

Country flag
Re: Weather and Transportation - alternate thinkin

This past summer I drove my Sprite 4.5 hrs without the top (on the interstate) in the pouring rain. It was actually more enjoyable than having the top and side curtains on. Sure I got a little damp, but it is better than listening to the side screens rattle and stuffing rags around the corners.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
twas_brillig said:
I was in downtown rush hour this morning and saw the usual collection of dedicated cyclists (one on a skinny tired road bike vs the usual mountain bikes) plus a guy on a motorcycle with a side car.

I, too, have been known to venture out despite the chill:

Stuck1.jpg

Embrace the madness!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bill -

Haven't seen you in a while - trust all is well.

Mickey

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's a great looking rig, Bill. Really need to get me a hack one of these days.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Guys: I've seen Bill's rig up close and personal. Even though not an aficionado, even I was impressed - nicely done!

G

I love Guzzi's. They got the clutch and transmission of a dump truck and go FOREVER !!!! My old boss had a '72 Ambassador he let me ride.

G

Trevor Jessie said:
This past summer I drove my Sprite 4.5 hrs without the top (on the interstate) in the pouring rain. It was actually more enjoyable than having the top and side curtains on. Sure I got a little damp, but it is better than listening to the side screens rattle and stuffing rags around the corners.

How you do that? In my '79, the rain comes in backwards and wets the inside of the windshield and I can't see.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Trevor Jessie said:

How you do that? In my '79, the rain comes in backwards and wets the inside of the windshield and I can't see.

you've got it in reverse!!! use some of the gears on the left side of the gear shift knob! :jester:

RickB

Yoda
kellysguy said:
Trevor Jessie said:

Must not be driving fast enough.
On Mythbusters Adam and Jamie tested out the myth that you can drive in the rain in a sports car with the top down and stay dry.
It worked best at about 90 mph.
They were using a Mercedes two seater, don't know if that helped the rain bubble effect or what?

Country flag
I did get a little bit of water on the inside of the windscreen, but I'd wipe it with chamois about every five miles or so. ...all part of the fun. I did get a few "thumbs up" from motorcyclists that were all decked out in rain gear.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Actually about a year ago was driving and passed a guy driving a mercedes pagoda with the roof down. He had a big TV box in the back so couldn't put up the top. Tragically it, a) had started raining heavily and b) he was in stop & go city traffic. He was about as miserable looking as I have ever seen.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This thread has sure turned out to be a lot of fun and dang interesting.

Alternatives: back about 1970, I did a trip into British Columbia on the Kawsasaki 500 and ran into a couple in a Lotus Super 7 from Edmonton - it was their only car, and they drove it year 'round. They had the electrically heated pieces of glass that you stick onto the inside of the windshield with suction cups to handle the defrosting, and you could see through the left rear fender because the studs on their winter tyres had worn through from the inside.

I got quite chilly going over the continental divide up by Jasper, Alberta, on that trip and opened the bike about to about 100 mph when I dropped into BC and warmed up - the old triples don't have great brakes or handling but the road was twisty and I was warm, and finally had the brains to slow down when I saw the highway sign warning about cattle wandering on the road.

I used to have a spare windshield wiper arm and blade in the BugEye for wiping the inside of the windshield when caught out in the rain with no top (or choosing to wiper both sides of the windshield rather than stopping to put the top up).

One of the neighours has a sidecar rig; the owner of the BMW motorcycle shop I used to go had a sidecar for his rottweiler.... It was labelled 'Bruno's Ride', and Bruno used to play pull toy with Dave's 3 year old granddaughter.

And a Chinook hit today - snow melting; sloppy roads with liquid snow running in the gutters; temperature up to about +4 c (39F) this afternoon. Turns out that the -46.1C in Edmonton that I mentioned at the start of this thread made Edmonton airport the coldest place on the planet for a few hours, then another place in Siberia 'won'.

Doug

CraigZ

What do you guys with BGTs do to keep the rear window from misting over in cool wet weather? I can't imagine the early models had rear window defoggers...

G

twas_brillig said:
opened the bike about to about 100 mph when I dropped into BC and warmed up -
Doug

I've always noticed I got warmer at 100 or more. I thought it might be the friction of the fabric on your skin. If I started getting colder, I'd just crank 'er back a bit more.