• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VTR 2007 in Valley Forge, PA this July

PATR8

Jedi Knight
Has anyone thought of designing a scenic route from western PA and all points west to Valley forge and some possible link up times/locationms so we can convoy across the state?

This would give company to the drivers and a guides to help those from further west and all kinds of spare mechanics for any possible repairs ....

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Jerseygirl said:
We might drive out in the Spit to check things out on Saturday, but I'm not paying $120 to register for an event that I can only attend for maybe a day and a half. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Unfortunately, the cars will be shipping out Saturday. The concours is Friday in the town of Phoenixville. We hope you can make it.

IanF

Jedi Trainee

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
https://www.vtr2007.com/schedule.jsp

Here is the schedule. I think it is all during the week so the people from faraway can travel on the weekends and not have to take so much time off of work. (only a week). I will only be there W,TH,F.

If you can't make VTR, maybe you can come down for the DVT Brits are back car show, May 26 at Hope Lodge in Ft Washington.

I would like to meet you guys, I have the English car and my wife sews, weaves, knits, and crochets. Lately she has been making all forms of baby carriers for our new arrival, Miles.

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
kindofblue said:
Unfortunately, the cars will be shipping out Saturday. The concours is Friday in the town of Phoenixville. We hope you can make it.

Phoenixville for the Concours?? Really?? It could at least been up the road in Coventryville or Warick for some English town names.

Ever consider the Old Poole farm in Springmount?

I would have thought the Councours could have been somewhere in the park. There are a load of great spots there.

So are we talking someone's cool local farm from DVT or one of the local parks?

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

This is Obviously going to be One heck of a Treat to See All these LBC`s; All on One Lawn together: But What ever happened to the days of going to an Event and Paying @ the Door $10-$15.00; Get a Dash Plaque and Bunch of Neat Goodies to Detail Your Car? Robyn; Are You trying to tell Me that It`s going to cost Me $120.00 even If It`s just for One Day??

Regards, Russ

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Russ, understand that this isn't just a car show; it is a four-day gathering of VTR members. I don't believe anyone has ever been charged to simply show up and view the Concours and/or Participants Choice displays, but those displays are only one part of the four-day convention.

T

TRDejaVu

OK, I live local and would probably show up for one, maybe two days, depending on work commitments. I would like to bring the TR4 and park it with the others, but I have no interest in it being judged. My interest is in seeing some cars, sharing experiences with the owners (hopefully meeting some of the people from this forum), with perhaps a group drive or 2 thrown in.

If I also bring "her indoor's", what's it going to cost me?

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TRDejaVu said:
OK, I live local and would probably show up for one, maybe two days, depending on work commitments. I would like to bring the TR4 and park it with the others, but I have no interest in it being judged. My interest is in seeing some cars, sharing experiences with the owners (hopefully meeting some of the people from this forum), with perhaps a group drive or 2 thrown in.

If I also bring "her indoor's", what's it going to cost me?

Well that is a really great question. I often walk the parking lot and find many dozens of other Triumphs who have come to meet other enthusiasts, but leave their cars at home or in the car park.

Visiting and watching costs nothing. But does that benefit you as an enthusiast?

As Andy says this is a 4 day event, all inclusive with many continuous activities going on each day - drives, contests, technical sessions, group drives to eat a meal together or see a site, a few parties, and all wrapped up with a final car show and Awards Supper. All of that is included in the registration fee and optional dinner attendance. Many do not attend the dinner, but come later for the awards presentation.
So participation in the events and technical sessions are not ala carte. (a point for discussion at the next VTR members meeting?? do I hear a second?)

But the hotel, vendor rooms, club displays, show field are open to the public for free.

So, if you want to park your Triumph with others "in the show" on Friday, regardless of judging, it will cost you the whole registration fee of $90 for VTR members and $120 for non-VTR members.

I know a lot of car shows do a separate fee for those attending just the show day with their cars, and that seems to be between $10 and $50 depending on the venue.

It is possible, probable and very likely that a lot of Triumphs and enthusiasts are being missed because they can not attend for the full show, certainly a younger owner who has a real job - like the type of membership VTR is trying to attract to replace the old SOB's in the club.
An ala carte approach seems like it would only draw more cars and members to the show. Maybe that fee could include a $30 VTR membership fee and a $20 show fee, the entrant is then a VTR member and concours show entrant. Maybe someone can not attend all 4 days, only wants to bring their car to the show and eat at the dinner? Why should they bear the cost of supporting all the other activities they are not able to attend? (all points for discussion at the next VTR members meeting?? do I hear a second?)

Here is a suggestion for the Convention Organizers (if they have not already planned for it) that I see happening at most Triumph Events overseas:

For attendance at the show and people visiting the hotel who are driving their Triumphs or other British Cars, designate a "British Car Only Parking" area for non-show and non-event participant Triumphs. Segregate all other cars to another parking lot.

I think this is called fostering comradery between British Car owners and some of the other venues already do this as a matter of course. What a great and simple concept to promote our hobby and grow the club!

INclusion, not EXclusion.

Telly

Country flag
That does make me curious as to how it's handled at a National event. My first local LBC event a couple of years ago had my rusty TR6 sitting right next to a beautifully restored six. I was embarrassed to be next to him and I'm sure he didn't want me next to him. I would not have been offended at all to have been placed somewhere else next to similar cars as mine....It's just fun to be there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Terry

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Glen;

This is My "Simple" conclusion: I would suspect there are quite a few Folks that are within an easy 1-2hr drive to the Event that would probably come on the Weekend due to Work etc: So, Why should these Good People pay $120.00 for a Day or Two & Not even be able to Park their Triumphs with the Rest of the Cars for the "Spectators and Enthusiasts" to View: Should You be coming quite a distance and staying at a Hotel; I suspect the Folks would be happy to Pay $120.00 for All Days cause Their There, No Matter What! As for Myself; I don`t believe I will be Paying No $120.00 for a Day Visit; For Sure!! But, I would like to Park My TR in a "Viewing Area" of somesort for the Other Folks to Look, Chat or Whatever: Why Is`nt there somesort of "Daily Fee" to Park Your TR with the Other TR`s? Something Like $30-$40.00 for example! I would suspect If this were the case; There would`nt be So Much Writing about Who`s going or Not Going to the Show: I would think Everyone Would be there and Proud to Display their LBC`s; Not Necessarily "Trailer Queens" for the Concours!! Oh Well; Whatever! "Moss Motors" Spring Show here I come; For Sure!!

Regards, Russ

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
I'm about an hour and half from the venue and I would participate in a heartbeat, but I have a full time job and can't attend the entire event. Don't get me wrong. An all-Triumph show sounds fantastic, but at the same time, I'm not willing to pay $120 just to be able to spend maybe all day Friday (if I'm lucky) at the event. To put it in perspective...I could go to eight other $15 Saturday or Sunday car shows for what it would cost me to attend just one day of this event.

If, in the future, the registration rules change and I can pay for one day's attendance, I'll be there. Otherwise, I guess I have to wait 35 years or so 'til I retire so I can attend the whole thing... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

In any case, I'll look forward to seeing pictures. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Russ and Robyn,

VTR needs to hear from a lot MORE like you two. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

For example, most one day shows charge for entrance of the cars and still make money to cover the event. Another 100 cars at $20 each covers a lot of costs.

Let's say for argument sake, the show day only entry fee was $50 which included a year VTR membership and placing your car on the show field.

Would you attend on that Friday?

All respond please ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
For $50 I'd still have to think about it, but there would be a better chance I'd go. My only problem is that I already belong to too many car clubs, that I can't devote enough time to... MINI, Volvo Club of America, and NASS, so I'm not overly enthused about paying dues in another one. But that's just me. For someone with one car or multiple Triumphs I can see that kind of offer being much more attractive, even just for a one day attendee.

On a side note... Is there really nothing that goes on on Saturday for this event? The whole thing takes place during the week?

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Telly said:
That does make me curious as to how it's handled at a National event. My first local LBC event a couple of years ago had my rusty TR6 sitting right next to a beautifully restored six. I was embarrassed to be next to him and I'm sure he didn't want me next to him. I would not have been offended at all to have been placed somewhere else next to similar cars as mine....It's just fun to be there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Terry

Terry, why were you embarrased? Because you /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif drive your TR6 and the beautifully restored 6 next to you is a garage queen or trailer queen?
You are correct, it IS fun BEING there, it is MORE fun DRIVING /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif there IN your Triumph!!

Read my signature below ...

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jerseygirl said:
For $50 I'd still have to think about it, but there would be a better chance I'd go. My only problem is that I already belong to too many car clubs, that I can't devote enough time to... MINI, Volvo Club of America, and NASS, so I'm not overly enthused about paying dues in another one. But that's just me. For someone with one car or multiple Triumphs I can see that kind of offer being much more attractive, even just for a one day attendee.

On a side note... Is there really nothing that goes on on Saturday for this event? The whole thing takes place during the week?

Robyn,
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately for VTR, you state the exact reasons why clubs like VTR do not experience a full marque turnout at their shows, and why membership numbers are low. If these conventions were more flexible with attendence, there would be 3-4 times the Triumphs showing up than as it is structured now.
Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service.

On planning a National Convention schedule, the host club needs to make a best guess as who they feel the most numbers of attendees will be traveling from. I would hope this is supported by input from the VTR membership rosters, chapter & zone lists to make that best guess. Most working folks get a few weeks vacation a year, so if they can take 4-5 days vacation, and they are within a two day drive - say 1000 mile radius - then they can take their time traveling to and from the convention with the least amount of vacation time spent. So it really is a good decision for people who have to travel to hold the event during the week. But most I have seen have the big show on Saturday to accomodate locals within a day drive if there is a large saturation of Triumphs. That way people can drive in Friday night, stay all day Saturday, leave Sunday. Friday registration for those shows is usually the second busiest for the folks at the registration desk, which includes drop in locals. If it can net another 100 attendees staying at the hotel it is usually worth it for the host club.

Here in Colorado in the Denver area the English Motoring Conclave sponsored and operated by 12 regional British Car clubs https://www.thecoloradoconclave.com/ (plug-plug) plan a two day show netting 400-600 British Cars. Cost is $20 a car preregistered - about 3/4 or more preregister, and the day of the show usually nets over 100 walk in car registrations at $25 each. Saturday is the "Drive the Rockies" and Sunday is the show. Attendees come from over 1000 mile radius.

So there is something to be said about having a show day registration fee.

Thanks again for your comments, and I hope you can at least come browse the cars on Friday. Heck, take a sick day.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Once when my local TRA chapter hosted a TRA National Meet, I think we experimented with the option of a one-day registration. If I remember correctly, it went well. I could easily find out for sure if you're interested.

T

TRDejaVu

As Glenn said, "Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service."

Is it too late for VTR to accommodate us "one-day" troublemakers this year? With the way that this event goes all over the country (as it should), I have no idea when I might have another opportunity to attend.

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TRDejaVu said:
As Glenn said, "Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service."

Is it too late for VTR to accommodate us "one-day" troublemakers this year? With the way that this event goes all over the country (as it should), I have no idea when I might have another opportunity to attend.

Well that is up to the event organizers in the host club to decide to add any last minute "features". All we can do is ask and provide constructive opinions. I don't believe VTR would bind their hands so much as to completely "EXclude" other Triumph enthusiasts who can only attend the day of the show with their cars. But this would be a large diversion from the regular way things have always been done at VTR events.

One argument against a separate one day registration is that the organizers may feel most people will not sign up for the whole convention, but only the show day which could be an overall loss financially. A loss is always a huge concern for the host club that has to at least break even on costs.

However, those wanting to participate in the 4 days of fun are going to make plands to do it regardless. Those enthusiasts already know how much fun the event is over just one day of a show. In my opinion, the show day is boring compared to the previous three days activities that are always a blast, not to mention the technical sessions!

Considering that this Forum only contains a small but represenative percentage of enthusiasts, 4-5 owners in a week saying they can only attend for the show day and would appreciate a separate registration is a high rate.

So in the mean time, why not start asking? Certainly since most of those making the claim are within an hour or two drive, and some are DVT members!! It seems to me that a non-attendee contributes $0 to the event, where an registrant for the show day could net a new VTR member and $20 per car.

I know a few of the VTR Board and event organizers are watching this thread. For bringing this up I'll probably get my tires slashed when I arrive at the hotel. We are already the bad boys on the block. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Lets see what happens. The most important thing is - keep talking! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif The squeaky wheel gets the grease!