• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vinyl making a comeback?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe 100 plus 80 or so CDs. Problem - I never listen to any of them. I also have that little brush but mine sits just off the turntable with a heavy chrome base. I also have about 300 books that I don't read.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have a couple hundred, but no turntable. I really like 70-80s stereo equipment, and wish I would have bought a nice set 15 years ago when I first started considering it and it was give away stuff at garage sales. Now it is collector stuff and not cheap. As far as the music, unless you tastes are real esoteric it is all streamable and downloadable, so I no longer want a turntable just for that purpose.

My interest in most modern music ended at approximately the turn of the century, but I am still discovering artists and songs from my era (50s through 90s) that I enjoy on YouTube and Spotify.

I remember having a conversation with my son several years ago about how he ever discovered new artists or songs without listening to the radio. I didn't get it then, I do now.

While there was a certain nostalgic charm to listening to the radio all night just so you could hear that one new song from The Little River Band* that you really liked, being able to call up Fleetwood Mac's Future Games or Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy anytime you like really makes this the Golden age for music listening.

*I would never and have never done that, random example of radio era band

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think that for a lot of kids their attraction to vinyl is due to it being fashionable. On the other hand I maintain my records partially because I have a decent sized collection I do not want to have to buy again, partially due to sentimentality, and partially due to my having slightly esoteric tastes about old things.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've a few hundred vinyl LP's, in two drawers under the amps, DVR, Beta and VHS players. Cassette, CD and DVD units as well. No reel-to-reel deck anymore, though. I built the cabinetry to enclose vinyl and all the tapes, cd's and the rest, in drawers. The shelving on the cabinet is modular, can be rearranged to suit.

vinyl1.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Haha! Just saw all the wires & cables behind the TV and my Mag Light. The top of the cabinet gets used as the catch-all for keys, eyeglasses, notes, receipts et al. Kinda like the top of a bedroom dresser. Good Housekeeping we ain't!

There's a label dead-center above the two drawers, it reads: "Doctor Entropy's Hand Made Goods" too. :wink: