• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vent gas cap or not

jbuffalo

1978 Mg Midget, Weber carb , no smog equipment, electric fuel pump, weber and fuel pump are new. The car seems to be starving for gas, I went about 1 mile and it stalled, waited 30 seconds and it started up. Do I need to vent the gas cap-it is not vented? Just took off cap and it runs real well-I think? thanks Jim

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Excellent question, I eagerly await the answer! Although my "sealed" gas cap couldn't seal much these days, the seal has completely disintegrated...

Jim, is it a HVLP pump? (approx. 4 PSI, but high volume?)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try this, a peice of plastic wrap or alum foil over the tank cap inlet with a rubber band around it. Poke a small hole in the plastic or alum. Give it a go. If it solves the problem you know the cause.

Now me I would just take the cap off and drive it around some.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
If the cap is old, they get condensation inside the vent and rust closed. A quick cure is to slice a Vee out of the rubber seal. If you hear a rush of air when you remove the cap, the vent is clogged.
I am not sure about the 1500s but all other Spridgets used a vented cap.
You might have a float adjustment problem on the Weber too.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
some of the decision will depend on the gas tank itself. Smog equipped cars have gas tanks with a vent hole that vents through the vent/filter mounted inside the trunk next to the passenger rear fender. (It's the piece that looks like a large tuna can - sort of) this is then hooked up back to the engine somehow (I have no plans to reinstall so I haven't learned where). Anyway, if like me, you buy a new tank, there is no vent hole for a vent line, thus the need for a cap with a hole in it. I know some have had the fitting for the vent sweated in but I have no plans to.

Hope this helps

R

RonMacPherson

That pressure is too high for a Weber. Just a matter of time before it overpowers the needle and seat. Wanna get one with under 2 psi.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So, did removeing the cap fix the problem?

OP
J

jbuffalo

Its great to see a person with focus. No, I did not try a drive with out the cap-I did find that the vent hose from the fuel tank was broken-I fixed it-work is getting in the way of my hobby. Now I am going to look at the cannisters and all the hoses. Found and replaced the brake switch-have lights.thanks Jim

OP
J

jbuffalo

Cap is vented and all vent hoses are off. Car runs great. Check classified for fuel pump block off plates for 1500-cheap. thanks Jim

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do be aware of the vent hose in the trunk; I had mine break and it started leaking gas into the trunk after a fill up. I hope you didn't remove the vent hose completely; you don't really need gas fumes permeating the trunk. The only thing I might mention is I had a similar problem to yours which ended up being the fuel pump having a small air leak that would eventually make the engine start stalling.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
RE: the fuel pump. webercarbs.com suggests the use of a Carter "green" electric fuel pump, which is similar to earlier Sprite fuel pumps in that it should be set up as a "pusher" low down, close to the gas tank. I'll find a part number. I can't comment on it personally, I'm still using the stock mech fuel pump, with a regulator.

Edit - P/N is Carter 4070