• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB V6 carb help

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh yea in in my 77 MGB is a 2.8 V6,.

At present I have a Rochester V6 2 barrel carb, Rochester E2SE Varajet II, and it does not have a place to hook up the Kick down cable at the carb, came that way to me.

So please, the eng is number 10065457 and is a 2.8L I think 1993 from an S10 and of course a 4 gear automatic.

So to tie in the kick down I need to know what carb to use.

Besides this the most interesting thing I have found is an electric radiator fan that was pushing hot air out the front. ROFL

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jack -

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that Chevy had switched to throttle body fuel injection before '93 - we had an '86 S10 Blazer with the V6 and it was fuel injected. They had increased the displacement twice by then, up to 3.4, for the Camaro and Firebird, and the S series trucks had a 4.3 liter after '90. So I'm not sure what you have.

At any rate, you might give these guys a call and see what they say about getting yours set up: https://quadrajetparts.com/throttle-lever-stud-trans-kickdown-p-273.html

Wish we were closer, would love to lend a hand.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh, and as a footnote, I used a Holley 390 four-barrel on mine. Pretty sure it had the hardware for attaching a kickdown cable; mine was a 5-speed. Don't know what intake manifold you have, but I used an Edelbrock with Bill Guzman's cut-down upper portion so it fit under the hood without any cutting. Still, if yours is operable as is, it's probably better (certainly cheaper!) to see if you can find the necessary attachments.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
93 was a mistype how about 79 or 80.

Where in the world did you find a reasonable priced carb?

the only way I can think to do this is to remove throttle rod from the old carb and put it in the new. The old rod was modified by adding a ear that was welded on the end for the kick down cable.

My engine number is 10065457 and carb number is 107059624 maybe will check that. I found a receipt for a carb and intake manifold dated 2014, no other info.

Could not make engine run so got the same carb, of course it did not have the mod. However, it starts idles and runs very well with new Rochester varaget II carb. Three of us have been unable to figure another way besides buying a $500 dollar carb. Wrong answer, guess that may be why the old carb was modified with welding the new ear.

Thoughts?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I'm going to do what my wife always told me, Keep It Simple Stupid. Going to pull the old throttle shaft with the fittings welded on the end for a throttle and a kick off.

Carb was worn out or something rod seems fine, no wiggle on the rod. Only 4 small stainless screws into bronze rod. then just pull the thing out. Reverse process to install old rod in new carb in place of new one that will not work for kick off on my new carb, same as old carb minus welded on mod for kick off.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd most definitely call the Quadrajet folks I referenced above - they should be able to help.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will do that in the morning.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Quadrajet folks were not helpful as they do not sell anything that is not in their on line catalog. However, I think I know how to fix the new carb with one drilled hole in a lever on the side/bottom to which I will connect the kickdown cable.
Will prob do the deed over the weekend. Will report.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, dang! Thought they'd be some help. But do let us know how you get on with it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
youtube might be your friend Jack - seems like everything is there.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Smart young fellow I got it figured out. However I need an eighth inch hole drilled in one of the pieces of carb linkage. Why heck I can do that.
Not easy I find. Carbide drills and have half of a pilot hole done. Carb linkage is some tough stuff. I got a brand new set of drills from Lowes, I will drill a bit every so often tonite and all day tomorrow if necessary.

Would provide a pic but is kinda down along crowed side of carb, hard to even see. Reason for all the breaks is I think my age. Stamina kind of goes away. But hay I am getting it done. Seems like the Varajet II Rochester carb will be a viable option.

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not exactly visualizing but if it works try a step drill - soooo much better. Harbor Freight has them cheap.

step drill.jpg

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ok got it drilled, forgot the part with using a drop of oil. Tomorrow my plan is to hook it up then the throttle then reverse the radiator fan direction, Blowing forward is of no use. Then a bit of a test drive. I know I will have to get the kick down cable linkage adjusted.

Now we having fun.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Took my first ride. Tranny down shifter seems to be working ok. Still have fan problems that I will resolve tomorrow. Lots of stuff to do, man does she start right now. Not quick but fast. On the highway can hang with the big guys. Noisy old car, think I need to put noise deading stuff throughout and see what is loose in trunk. Next week will get a good cleaning.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Glad you're on the path to sorting it out. Sure hope you can join us this October for the V8/V6 meetup here in Townsend. You'll definitely meet some extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks, as well as view some incredible conversion builds.