• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 V-8 TR6 in CT for sale

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll bet it was fun on route 1 down there at about 2 in the morning after the bars close. On that traffic light infested drag strip road I always thought a regular TR6 was plenty fast enough. Then you throw in a OD and watch out? Boy! The things people do!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
its only bout 1k
might be worth looking at....Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Naaaaa! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Come on. What's another toy in your box? Your sig will look good with TR6 V-8 added to the above list.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
You speak with my wife and tell her she can't park her car in the garage cause I have another TR6 that I want to put in there~

If you survive I'll buy it!......LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry, but I'm not very good at selling those ideas, which is why I don't have a modified TR4 sitting around. I'd be a poor choice to rep you on that one. I've learned to be content with one project, which is probably better anyhow.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
its only bout 1k
might be worth looking at....Hmmmmmmmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]
Kodanja, it's been relisted with a starting bid of $100, no reserve! (no bids yet as of this posting) Now you just tell the Mrs. "honey, I can't afford NOT to buy it!"

G

I dunno. I'm always leery of stuff that "used to run fine but doesn't now". Of course you could part it out and make your $ back at that price.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Im gunna pass...

I have my tr4 coming in march

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I guess I'd have to agree. Although there's a certain fun factor to be enjoyed there, I think unless that type of car is specifically what you are looking for, there are much better places to put your money.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
..Why would someone go through ALL that effort to put in a tiny V8 is beyond me. Novelty factor maybe?

IMHO, go for it - or leave it with the stock 6 and go with all the upgrades.

I'll be interested what $$ it goes for.
jeff

swift6

Yoda
Actually the Rover V8 is very light. Especially when compared to a TR6 engine. Remember that both the Block and Heads are aluminum on the Rover V8. The original displacement, as in my TR8, is 3.5 liters (215ci) and was originally a pretty low compression engine for emissions reasons. The horsepower was not really high but the torque was and the torque curve is pretty wide.

Restricted breathing was the stock Rover V8's downfall. The carbs are small and the exhaust pretty restrictive. Opening up the intake and exhaust can really wake up a stock 3.5 V8. By far the biggest power improver though is different heads. The original design was very restrictive but later engines had better flowing heads. If 3.5 is too small, you can also get the engine in 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, 4.6, 5.0 and have even seen some go to 5.5 liters.

A small block Chevy or Ford will not save you any weight over a Rover V8 but inexpensive parts would definitely be in their favor, especially for the Chevy.

The Rover engine is also fairly wide. A small block Ford is actually a more compact unit. If you spring for an aluminum block for the small block Ford you would save another 60lbs and could edge ahead of the Rover V8 for a lightweight V8.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

swift6

Yoda
FWIW, I just checked an engine weight reference sheet that I found. It lists a TR6 engine at 406 lbs. A Rover V8 weighs 318 lbs., the slant four used in the TR7 weighs 290 lbs. So the Rover V8 only has a 28 lbs penalty over the four cylinder. The Chevy and Ford V8s are a good 100lbs heavier than the Rover until you start using aluminum heads and blocks (but then they get a lot more expensive too)

The Triumph V8 as used in the Stag, the 3.0 liter, was close to 450lbs though. So that could be the heavy and not very powerful V8 that you are referring to.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
The Chevy and Ford V8s are a good 100lbs heavier than the Rover until you start using aluminum heads and blocks (but then they get a lot more expensive too)

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up low mileage aluminum heads for the SBC 350 off ebay for $400. 58cc - which translates into some serious compression. Yeah, it is heavier up front...but I can turn that thing so fast a passenger will be in my lap. The REAL thrill is second gear!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
jeff

swift6

Yoda
Yours is a TR6 though right? Small block Fords or Chevys with aluminum heads weigh as much as or less than a TR6 engine. The idea that V8's will change the weight balance of a TR6 is often overstated because people don't always realize just how heavy the TR6 I6 is. If you choose wisely on V8 conversions for TR6's, it will change the front to rear weight balance. Often to a more neutral 50/50.

All that being said, I still won't put a V8 in my TR6. To me it just doesn't sound right. I do get my V8 rumble satisfaction from my TR8 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
You bring up a good point. THere's are a couple truck scales a few miles away. I was planning on weighing the car at some point (1/2 tank fuel). I was also planning on weighing just half of it to get that balance measurement. Like just having the front wheels on the scale.

That also brings up a good point - should I be sitting in the car when doing the front/back weighing?
Reason I can see doing that it that, it will provide the closest thing to typical driving conditions.

Maybe 3 readings are in order:
1. Total car 1/2 tank fuel - me out
2. Front wheels on scale
3. Me in the car with the front wheels on the scale.

They normally charge $15 per time to weigh. Might get a volume discount....

jeff

swift6

Yoda
I'm not sure that having half the car on the scale at a time will give anywhere near an accurate weight. But give it a shot, I've been wrong before and probably will be again at some point.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that having half the car on the scale at a time will give anywhere near an accurate weight. But give it a shot, I've been wrong before and probably will be again at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that it will provide an accurate reading of the weight bearing upon the wheels. Only word of advise from my engineering buddy was to get the particular set out as far as(without the second set touching) possible to limit any issues of the scale reading properly.

I will be sitting in it - as that will be the conditions under which it will be driven.
...the fine art of TR6 engineering mods

jeff

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif