• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Up-date/ questions on my original preserved BN1

Re: Update/ questions on my original preserved BN1

Sounds plausible.

Any plans to take hundreds of pictures of the car and post them?!

TimK,
The Overdrive electrical circuit is fused. Power is supplied to the gearbox switch from the A4 terminal of the 35 amp fuse. (Power is supplied to the A3 fuse terminal from the ignition switch via the ignition coil). From the gearbox switch, power then goes to the overdrive relays (2 relays on a BN1).
I was referring to the BN4 and later (at least to BN7). The OD is supplied with power from the A3 terminal (before the fuse). I know nothing about the BN1 wiring. Sorry.

Update: Changed oil, added almost a gallon of fresh antifreeze, drained the rusty gas out of the tank and flushed it a bit. Put fresh fuel in the tank ( gallon or so) and proceeded to drive to the nearest gas station. Made it about half way there before the fuel pump went into overdrive and the engine quit. There is still some flaky rust in the tank clogging the pickup apparently. I wanted to put a pre-filter on it before the pump, but its all hard lines, so not so easy to do. I may have to have the tank cleaned and coated as I don't want to alter the fuel hard lines.

Also cleaned and treated the leather seats, which are surprisingly supple now. Cleaned the tonneau a bit, but nothing I tried removed the worst of the stains. Any suggestions? I have seen some vinyl top cleaner on the web... may try a bottle of that.

Good news, after finally getting to the gas station and adding 5 gallons of fuel and lead additive, I got it up over 40 and the overdrive works! The throttle sensor works like its supposed to as well. I will probably drain the trans and fill with clean oil next, but its good to know it is working.

I have a bit of an electrical issue with the RH turn indicator... it starts to blink normally, then I hear the horn trying to blow (clicking at the horn) and the signal starts flashing very fast. Maybe a short in the trafficator? Or could this be a ground issue?

I haven't had time to document everything on the car and post pictures, but will very soon.

... if you can't find the Poorboys, look for Autoglym vinyl and rubber care or something from Mothers Wax. ...

Try to get a good one first

What fun..the discovery and joy of owning such a remarkable car!!! I am jealous as are the rest of us...but it looks like it fell into good hands.....

I love driving my 100 and will take a long spin today.. Congratulations on your car and the thrill of learning all about its hidden treasures..

Ditto..keep the old wheels and tires seperate...might be better to buy new 48 with new tires that can be balanced better than trying to true up older wheels.....do you have the original valve cover??? would look better to replace the after market one..

replace the exhaust system..BUT KEEP THE OLD ONE..this way the original is preserved and the new one will take the beating as you drive your jewel..

Just my thoughts and enjoy!!!

Pete

This weekend I spent some time on the fuel system. I pulled the fuel tank out and marveled at the cleanliness of the original sheetmetal and paint:

boot_with tank out.jpg

Then I pulled out the fuel tank sending unit and found out why it always reads 3/8 of a tank... float was stuck. I freed it up with some cleaning, and used the large hole in the top of the tank to help flush all of this out:

fuel tank crud.jpg

I flushed the tank with gallons of clean fuel, scraping chunks out of the bottom. Recycled the fuel by straining with paper coffee filter for my lawnmower. I cleaned the gauze filters at the carbs, and put in some fresh fuel. Not sure its as clean as it needs to be, but the tank sure is easy to remove if I still have trouble and its miles cleaner than it was. -- next step will be a boil out/ coating inside at a reputable fuel tank restoration place if crud continues to be an issue.

Put brand new Dunlop/ MWS 48 spoke wire wheels and Vredestein tires on last night. They are quite a bit smaller in OD than the original Dunlop Road Speeds, but Moss lists them as a replacement...

New wheel and tire.jpg new tires windshield down.jpg

Front drum brakes are dragging and I can't seem to get the adjusters to do anything. Any words of wisdom on the twin cylinder front drums? The adjusters seem to only rotate counterclockwise about 1/2 turn before binding. I haven't tried to get the drums off because I doubt I can with the shoes dragging that much...

Just drove the car on the new wheels and radial tires -- WOW what a difference. The car is truly a fantastic car to drive now. I decided to try driving with the windshield down since I vowed it would never be put upright again--- but I have to say that even with sunglasses on, any speed over about 25 is unbearable. Too bad there isn't an in-between position that meets some type of compromise. Looks so cool with it down. I love this car.