• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A unidentified, but maybe a manifold piece?

Dash

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the manifold before I took it off as it was just some studs, clamps and nuts. However the little piece in the photo was in the bag I marked as manifold stuff but I just don't remember this piece nor can I find it in any diagram. Does anyone recognize this as belonging somewhere on or near the exhaust manifold?
Since the lifting bracket is only slotted, I was thinking maybe it fits over the bottom rear stud and the ear on the piece hooks the lift to help keep it from twisting, otherwise, I'm stumped..
btw, the raised ring is a washer and not part of the main piece but it goes there..
unidentified.jpg

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I don't recognize it, and could not find a similar part in my photographs.; TR4A engine disassembly. Sorry! I don't recall something like that, and I took my manifold off about 9 months ago.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not part of the intake/exhaust manifold system.

M.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Since the lifting bracket is only slotted, I was thinking maybe it fits over the bottom rear stud and the ear on the piece hooks the lift to help keep it from twisting...

I do not recognize it either, but I have to say: I like that explanation.

OP
D

Dash

Evidently this little piece ended up in the wrong parts bag..aaargh! A tough little piece to cypher but I guess I'll eventually find it's home as most of the car is still scattered al over the garage. Thanks for confirming where it doesn't go. At least I can keep going forward with the current phase of the project.

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'll hazard a guess. It looks a little like the piece that goes in between the fuel bowls and body on an SU HS6 carb. They are used to angle the bowl on the carb. Possibly.

Perry

OP
D

Dash

Think I found the home for that piece..It locks the generator link arm where the arm attaches to the water pump housing. See photo..

Attachments

• Identified.jpg
    Identified.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 73

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Think I found the home for that piece..It locks the generator link arm where the arm attaches to the water pump housing. See photo..
Sorry Dash, but no.
The locking tab you speak of has four "legs"
Two are bent up two sides of the bolt head that goes thru the generator link and lock it in place.
And the other two are bent in the other direction down two sides of the link arm so that the locking tab is locked in place.
M.

p.s.
Ref item 16A
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29116#16a

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yeah, not quite the same.

Actually, I think only 3.

Easier to see in this graphic:

Generator_mount_-_Moss_zpsebxudpcf.jpg

Sorry Geo, was working from memory...
I removed the original long ago.
On the other hand, the replacement I made does have four legs.
I refused to pay the amount of money that the usual sources want for this simple lock tab....

M.

OP
D

Dash

Oh darn, so close..thanks guys, I'll keep hunting. In the meantime I'll have to get a 16a.. It does appear however that my mystery piece may have a similar application although I'm running out of options to anything associated w/the engine.

OP
D

Dash

I've tried to be careful about keeping track of the small stuff like this but this little piece had a mind of it's own and crawled into a bag where it didn't belong. After 8 months into this project and having to correct, fix, or replace one thing after another, most of which doesn't seem to focus on the big stuff, I just don't remember this thing. Good news is that it's definitely meant for external use vrs something within something so hopefully I'll stumble on it's purpose eventually or who knows, I may end up with a whole grocery bag full of this kinda stuff before I'm done.
Reminds me of many years ago when I overhauled another tractor block: first time I had ever done one so had no idea what I was doin. This one is #2 and I still don't..ha.. Anyway, when I was done I had parts left over. I was actually scared to start the thing thinking I had forgotten to do this, that, or the other. Well finally got my nerve up to crank it and it turned out to be the best running ( old used) engine I ever owned. Beginners luck I suppose. I remember joking about why they would put stuff in an engine if it didn't need it..

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Perhaps it is a semi locking device that is fitted to one of the RHS bell housing bolts that is very hard to access...cannot remember which one exactly, but I welded a tab on the head of a bolt that had limited access.