• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Unidentified Bulb

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Greetings All, I finished the installation of a new clutch in my 72 TR6. Since the interior was out of the car and my carpets were in need of replacement, I decided to proceed ahead and replace the underfelt and carpeting. While cleaning up the wiring under the panel, I found a small micro bulb in a dedicated socket. This bulb is wired with a green/red wire and a dedicated black ground wire. Looking at the wiring diagrams, the only reference to a green wire with a red stripe is in the turn signal system. The turn indicator bulb is in its proper place. There is no apparent missing socket for this bulb. Its not a big issue but just one of those mysteries that I cannot solve. I will try to attach a photo. The bulb appears to be positioned somewhere in the center of the panel near the rheostat. Does this look familiar to anyone????

Attachments

• DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 52

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks like a lite that goes in one of the labeling jewels like Hand Brake or Seatbelt the are below the rheostat. does it light up?? Madflyer

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Question Your driving lights block much air adding to extra heat with OEM rad and fan. Madflyer
Hello, Response to the first answer; I checked every possible circuit on the TR6 and had no response from that little bulb. The bulb appears good but does nothing. I'm just going to tuck it away behind the panel and forget about it. Like an unsolved mystery, I was trying to determine its purpose in life. Its not a big issue.

Those lights in my photo were Hella lights and worked very well. They had no effect on the cooling system at all. I am running the GoodParts aluminum radiator shroud, an aluminum radiator and a 160 degree thermostat. Even in the summer Texas heat, I have not had a cooling system problem (yet). Since I live in a rural area, we have lots of wildlife including deer that venture out at night. Although I don't drive that much at night, the extra forward lighting was an asset. A couple of years ago, I removed the Hella lights and replaced them with reproduction Lucas lights. They look a better and although a bit smaller, are more suited to the British car. In retrospect, the Hella lights were a bit more effective. I'll attach a photo of the Lucas lights.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 44

robertrudolphi

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am pretty sure it is the footwell light on the passenger side. If you look up just below the crash pad close to the center console you will see a u-shaped metal bracket. It slides in there and illuminates the footwell when the door is opened. They used a totally different bulb (positive ground) on the drivers side

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Mystery Solved. My panel is an aftermarket teakwood panel. Apparently the original Triumph panel had a small hole in the center of the panel below the rheostat in which a rectangular seatbelt warning light was installed. I have no intentions of overhauling the seatbelt system so I'll just leave it out of service. At least now know what that light was intended for.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is my 1973 dash see two lights and I moved key switch from under steering wheel and no dimmer and LED lights, the red lite on the right is now my Overdrive on light. Madflyer
DSCF2363.JPG

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I forgot no air vents they are now speakers and oak wood above radio removed old light bar and that is my new rear Backlight top assy. The steering wheel is a MOTO LETA 12 inch instead of 14 inch for more leg room see space between door and wheel. That is having the car for most of 30 years Madflyer