• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Undervalued and overlooked

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
Most undervalued cars?.......In the UK I would say Triumph 2000 and Rover P6's. Good solid cars with adequate performance for today's traffic conditions.
A lot of other 60's "big" saloons were destroyed in "banger racing", (Steve can translate), the examples that are left have mostly been restored and are in the hands of enthusiasts.
Also undervalued are any common British Sports car with the exception of Healey's and Etypes. Others you can pick up fairly cheaply.
There is not a great market in the UK for cars we love amongst the younger set, they can by an MX5(Miata)for ÂŁ3K which won't break down and looks good, they are all after Evo's or other Japanese "Fast and Furious" cars anyway. This is why most original British "non-collector" cars are cheap.

Regards

Alan

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Most undervalued cars?.......In the UK I would say Triumph 2000 and Rover P6's. Good solid cars with adequate performance for today's traffic conditions.
A lot of other 60's "big" saloons were destroyed in "banger racing", (Steve can translate), the examples that are left have mostly been restored and are in the hands of enthusiasts.
Also undervalued are any common British Sports car with the exception of Healey's and Etypes. Others you can pick up fairly cheaply.
There is not a great market in the UK for cars we love amongst the younger set, they can by an MX5(Miata)for ÂŁ3K which won't break down and looks good, they are all after Evo's or other Japanese "Fast and Furious" cars anyway. This is why most original British "non-collector" cars are cheap.

Regards

Alan

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm, could be an opportunity there, run across to the UK, buy a container load of early, unloved orphan cheap classic cars, ship 'em over, sell at a profit. If only it were that simple. Sherlock, stop drooling on your keyboard!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good to see you back Alan, hope your health and temper are good. How was LeMans? Enquiring minds want to know.

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
Hi Steve....
Health is good, temper is as bad as ever and Le Mans was fabulous.....You get the container I'll get the cars!....
Incidently...Bruce Reynolds (Great Train Robber) Healey has just come into the shop for a spruce up prior to sale. Black Mk I with black hardtop, genuine low milage, laid up for some considerable time (Lol)......(especially tuned with triple carbs etc), anticipated Sale price ....wait for it ÂŁ45K.

Regards

Alan

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Wow, strong money. But considering what Pat Moss' rally Healey went for at auction recently (ÂŁ175,000 which translates into roughly $325,000) such a price for a car with such interesting history should not come as too much of a surprise. I think that the Moss Healey will tow prices for regular cars up higher, just as a knock-on effect.

Okay, containers, where's me Yellow Pages?

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Got to agree with Sherlock, Beejay 7 and Rovernut that English saloons can be very nice cars. I like many of the 60's cars as people were driving these in my teenage years, Cortinas and the BMC Landcrab, Rovers and Triumph 2000s for a bit more class.
After the London to Sydney Marathon I liked the good looking Hillman Hunter and the Rootes Groups upmarket Humber Sceptre version (usually with a vinyl roof).
In sports cars I nominate the Sunbeam Alpine, a much more roomy and comfortable car than my TR4, though not much power, a great deal for an attractive car.
Simon.

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
"Undervalued and overlooked" would most definitely apply to the... Jensen Healey. The production in round numbers for the four years was 10,500 (I'm not talking GT's), today there are only approximately 1,500 registered and running cars (from the Jensen Healey Preservation Society web site) Because so few of the JH’s are on the road, it is a blast to have everyone look at it and ask… is that a Jag? or worse… is that a kit car or a Cobra? Duh, why yes it is… LOL

The Jensen Healey marquise has won the SCCA National Title three (3) times, 1974 & '75 and again in 1995, one class down. That is a racing pedigree for sure. I know my 1973 Jensen Healey Mk.I (Vin#13046) is a real runner, fast and well behaved. I have opened some Miata drivers eyes and ears too.

You can find below average drivers from $3,500.USD, very nice and sorted cars for $6,000.USD, and fine show quality in the $14,000.USD range. As usual, you have to know what you are purchasing. I can’t imagine that kind of “bang for your buck” on anything else.

Interestingly, my car has a manufacturing date of March 7, 1973 and sold originally in Anaheim, CA. My birthday is March 7, 1947, and I live in Orange, CA right next to Anaheim, CA.

D

DanZ

[ QUOTE ]
Another one that should be overlooked......Hillman Avenger!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or its American cousin, the Plymouth Cricket.